VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resman hangs with old board.

I have recently had 2 hard drives crash on PC-VXI boxes and am trying to re-install software on a new drive.

Everything seems to work except when I run or re-run resman with a Analogic 8700 board in the VXI box when I get either the above error or it hangs up the computer until I unplug the board. If it successfully runs the first time, it recognizes the board.

I also was checking for a conflict in the resources and there does not seem to be any conflict with A16 or A24.

Changed the VXI bus time-out to 1 msec from 500 uSec. Even tried the advanced mode to set-up retries.

Am using NI-488.2 V 1.7 and NI-VXI 2.05 with VISA 2.5 and CVI 5.0.1.

I currently have 3 computers set-up that run correctly with the 8700 board in it and 2 computers I am trying to set-up both doing the same. Have replaced computers with one previously set-up and it works with the 8700 board.

The computers were initially set-up by an outside consultant who I have not had luck contacting.

How does resman know how to initially communicate with a VXI board?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,845 Views)
Hello Jacque,
I am a little confused by which "computers" or "configurations" are working.  Is the behavior following the Analogic 8700 board or the PC?  Are there any jumper settings that are different between working and non-working configurations?  Are there any boards that are not completely in place in the chassis?

The following KB also has a little more information about Resman:

I hope this helps, perhaps with a little clarification this can be resolved.
Regards,
Angela
Applications Engineer

Message Edited by Little A on 10-26-2006 01:36 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,829 Views)
Only change was installing another hard drive into the VXI-PC 870 computer, and of course reinstalling software.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,808 Views)

Hello Jacque,

So to clarify you have the exact same settings and configuration on this new hard drive as on the working systems?

Regards,
Angela
Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,787 Views)

Cannot see any settings which are different.

Even tried un-installing all NI sortware including going into the registry then reloading only the NI-VXI/VISTA software and the thing still hangs.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,774 Views)
Hello Jacque,
I should have asked earlier, but what operating system are you using?  Do you have any drivers other than the aformentioned drivers installed?  From what location are you attempting to run Resman?  On the machines where you notice Resman hanging, does it run successfully with other VXI instruments?  And the same 8700 board does not cause Resman to hang on a comparable system?  Does the behavior seem to be related to any particular slot in your frame?

This is definitely unusual behavior, but depending on your application you may want to consider upgrading some of your driver versions.

Regards,
Angela
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,757 Views)

Problem is that the 8700 does not have updated drivers.

Am using NT4.0 SP6.

Not slot dependent. Other VXI boards do not cause this problem.

One other thing, by some coincident by un-installing and reinstalling the NI software on one of the computers, it started to work.  The second one have will not. Even tried another CD with NI-VXI/VISA in case there was a problem on the CD.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,754 Views)
Hello Jacque,
I would suspect if uninstalling and reinstalling worked on one of the computers it will work on the other with one caveat.  If your installation was corrupt, then uninstalling may not remove the corrupted file.  So uninstall, then manually check for dlls in the system folder or any National Instruments folders that seem related and remove them before reinstalling.  I do not have an NT 4.0 machine that I can check installation files on, but since you have functioning machines you should be able to see the files related to the drivers you are using.

Regards,
Angela
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,731 Views)