From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXIpc-882 Years Till End Of Life

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a system which uses the older VXIpc-772 controller and need to decide whether to move to the VXIpc-882 or rehost onto a different set of hardware that's not VXI/VME based.

When will the 882 controller stop being sold? When will it stop being serviced?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,568 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AaronR

Hi Aaron,

While I'm unable to comment on specific product's projected lifecycles, we do have our hardware support policy outlined here: http://www.ni.com/life-cycle/hardware.htm. If you look at the 882 controller's product page, you'll notice the "not recommended for new designs" note. That means the product is in the Mature phase on that chart, although we have not issued a Last Time Buy notice for the 882. So, in the worst case scenario, if we issue the LTB notice for the 882 tomorrow, that means we guarantee service and support for the device for at least 2 years after that point, and then will make the best effort for a few years after that. Of course, we also have Mature products that go without a LTB notice for years, but that's what we can say for sure.

Sorry we can't give a more concrete answer than that, but hopefully that gives you more insight when making the call. 

Regards,

Cason

NI Applications Engr.

Cassandra Longley
Senior Technical Support Engineer - FlexRIO, High Speed Serial and VRTS
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,480 Views)

That's very helpful and gives me the information I was looking for.

Thank you for the response!

Regards - Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,476 Views)

A quick follow up. Is this the only VXI based controller available?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,475 Views)

Hey Aaron,

Happy to help, of course. The 882 is the only embedded VXI controller we offer anymore. We do have some remote controller solutions, allowing the system to be controlled via PCI, PXI or Express cards: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/204586. Note that all of these are similarly not recommended for new designs, just like the 882, so they're all in the same bucket regarding long term outlook. 

Cason

NI Applications Engr.

Cassandra Longley
Senior Technical Support Engineer - FlexRIO, High Speed Serial and VRTS
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,458 Views)

What would you say about prognosis of getting the NIVXI device drivers to support vxWorks  7.0...?

Also if you are not planning to accomplish this task... maybe you can provide the source code for

the drivers from vxWorks5.5 level under NDA  so that I can upgrade them for you...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(442 Views)