VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXIPC-872B / Not booting to USB drive / Auto-reboots when saving to BIOS.

We have 2 (VXIPC-872B), one which boots to a USB drive just fine, to perform a "burn-in" test, called pc-check. The other VXIPC-872B will NOT boot to the same usb drive, I have configured the BIOS to boot to that specific usb drive. When the bios is saved and exited, the VXIPC seems like it want to boot to the usb drive, it then auto reboots and goes to a loop (auto-reboots). I have tried both USB ports, I have tried a floppy version of the pc-check, yet the same thing happens. When its stuck on this auto-reboot loop, the LED's (the FAIL and SYSF) on the front of the VXIPC-872B are solid red. I have also tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper, several times, and the same issue persists. Even if the USB drive or the floppy drive are not plugged in, if its in the auto-reboot loop, the system will keep rebooting itself (even after removing power for several minutes). Eventually with enough time without power, the VXIPC-872B will enter the BIOS again, as soon as I save the settings to to boot to the USB drive, it'll re-do the auto-reboot thing and not enter the BIOS...

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,919 Views)

Hello!

It's possible that the BIOS software on the non-working controller needs to be upgraded. If you could, check the BIOS versions on both controllers using the steps listed below:

Determining and Upgrading PXI and VXI Embedded Controller BIOS Versions

If the BIOS versions are the same, please let me know and we can investigate further. If the non-working controller has an older version, try the update listed in the document and let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks!

Will Hilzinger | Switch Product Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,910 Views)

Both VXIPC-872B controllers read the exact same BIOS.

Both read:  

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

Copyright 1985-2001 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

All Rights Reserved

Copyright 2002 National Instruments Corp.

VXIpc-770-870B Series Controller

BIOS Version 1.41

-----------------------

Looks like the latest BIOS for this controller is the 1.41 version. I could try to re-flash it.. should I try that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,906 Views)

Thank you for the information. Yes, you can try re-flashing, but let us know if you're still seeing issues afterwards.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,867 Views)

I tried re-flashing the BIOS, but I cannot boot to the USB device nor the floppy in order to flash it with the utility. Anytime I save the BIOS to boot to either the USB or floppy drive, the controller auto-reboots, and again, the LED's on the front display solid RED on SYSF and FAILED. So, no success on the re-flashing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,865 Views)

Hello!

I spoke with a colleague of mine, who said he'd encountered an issue quite similar to yours. Have you submitted this card for RMA already? (Return/repair?) If not, please let me know and we can further assit you.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,835 Views)

This VXIpc-872B has gone out for repair once and came back "repaired" with the exact same issue. I spoke to the RMA department and come to find out that nothing was done to correct the problem. I spoke to technical support and troubleshot the issue. Another RMA was issued (872B was shipped Friday Aug 31, 2012 to NI), I am hoping that the repair person(s) contacts me so I can instruct him/her on how to duplicate the problem ( I left a sticky note inside the shipping box on the RMA paper with my contact info). So, we shall see.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,830 Views)

I'm sorry to hear about the initial repair problems, but I'm glad it will be sent back in. It's not typical for out repairs department to contact customers directly, but myself or the Applications Engineer you've been speaking with will be more than happy to act as liaison.

If you have specific instructions for the test team, please let us know and we will pass them along.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,779 Views)

Yes please,

Basically, to duplicate the problem, go into the BIOS, change a setting (the boot order is what I was changing and saving) save it, it will reboot, afterwards try to go into the bios again, it should auto-reboot and never go into the BIOS again, unless the controller is left without power for a long period of time (about 2-3 hours with no power). You will also see SYSF and FAILED front LED's solid red after saving the BIOS and a reboot. 

If you have a bootable device, in my case it was a bootable USB device (also tried a bootable floppy disk), try to boot to it; you should get the same problem (auto-reboots and red LED's)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,777 Views)

I will be happy to send that their way. Do you have the RMA/Service request number under which this was submitted? I will need that to get the information to the right place.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,748 Views)