VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXI compatability

Hello,

I have a crate of VXI digitizers which is about 10 years old. The controller / computer is running Win 3.1 with National Instruments software (CVI, NI-Spy, etc.) and has a GPIB port. The digitizers were made by a 3rd party which no longer exists. Ditto for the higher-level code that's controlling the digitizers. (Fortunately, I have the C source code, although documentation is sparse.)

I want to slave the digitizers to a more modern computer system running LabVIEW 7+, but don't know if I need to get new VXI controller hardware to do that, or if the GPIB and VXI protocols have changed by enough over the past decade to cause trouble.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,659 Views)
hi SpinDoc,

Because the VXI standard is a well-established standard, then there is a good chance that you will be able to port the system over without too much trouble. However, without knowing exactly what the code is doing, I cannot guarantee. If you are planning on upgrading to a newer system anyway, then I recommend giving it a try. If it does not work, then we can work on modifying the code or getting a new controller interface.

Good luck with your application!

john m
Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,647 Views)
One other thing... when you move to a computer that much faster, any delays in your code based on CPU cycles will execute faster. That will most likely be the biggest problem you encounter.

john m
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,638 Views)