VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXI-PC-486 Model 566 computers that will not allow me to boot from a floppy.

I have 2 separate VXI-PC-486 Model 566 computers that will not allow me to boot from a floppy. This all started with a conflict error with a NIC card I installed. When I could not get 3 separate brands of NIC cards to work, I decided to reload my software but cannot reload DOS without booting from the floppy and when I put in 3 separate bootable disks into either of the 566s, they ignore the floppy.
Only thing common between the 2 computers is the hard drive.
Saw one suggestion that CMOS battery may cause this issue and I see in the NI literature that BIOS is battery backup so tried to find a battery to replace but cannot see anything visible that looks like a battery. Is that a possibility and where do they hide the battery?
Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,813 Views)
Hi Jacque,

I'm trying to track one of these units down for you so I can try to find the battery on it. I'm not sure if we have one around the department anymore, but maybe we can get one from R&D.

I'll keep you posted on what we find.

Regards,
Matt S.

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,805 Views)
I found out that the reason the computer would not boot off of the floppy was that I set the BIOS with Quick Boot set to YES. Had a colleague tell me he had problems with quick boot. It would still be nice to know if and where battery backup is in these machines.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,799 Views)