From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXI-MXI-2

Solved!
Go to solution

I have multi test stations with a PC runing Windows XP, each configured with an NI PCI-MXI-2 Card. Each station has two VXI Chassis, each with it's own Slot-0 controller, daisy-chained to run off the same VXI System, which the system identifies as VXI0.

When I build a new station, I ghost a Hard Drive from an existing station and use that in the new station. The ghosted drive works fine on the station from which it was created. On a new station with a ghosted drive when I open up MAX, I see two VXI systems listed...VXI0 and VXI1. VXI0 is listed but not recognized (i.e. I can't talk to it). VXI1 appears to be recognized by MAX, but not by NI-VISA. (I can't open up a VISA session from either MAX or VIC).

I can delete VXI0 and rename VXI1 to VXI0, but VISA still can't talk to it. Also, Resman reports still think the hardware resides on VXI1.

I get similar problems with NI-GPIB cards. In this case, I believe each PCI GPIB card has it's unique Serial Number encoded in it's ID, so when I move drives from one station to another, I'm able to successfully delete GPIB0 and rename and then used GPIB1 to GPIB0 and all works fine. It appears the same approach does not work on my PCI MXI card.

Is there something else I need to do to re-identify the newly found VXI1 to VXI0? I have multiple files that expect all my instruments to be located on VXI0.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,564 Views)

Hello TomMcG,

I believe the issue you are seeing with ghosting a hard drive and moving it to a new station is that it is carrying over the Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) configuration with the VXI0 configuration, and the current configuration of the chassis plugged in does not match the previous one from thus it creates a new resource name called VXI1. I would like you to delete VXI1and VXI0 from Measurement & Automation Explorer, and then uninstall the VXI driver for the VXI-MXI 2 from the Device Manager.  This will dissociate the driver from the hardware and not allow you to detect this hardware in MAX. Then when your restart your machine the association will be reinstated and (since there is no VXI0 in MAX) be titles VXI0 in MAX. You can access the device manager via Start>> (Right Click on) Computer and select manage. Then navigate to Device Manager underneath Computer Management>>Systems Tools>>Device Manager. Check to make sure the VXI Bus/devices is there, then right click on the MXI 2 module and click uninstall.  You will have to restart your computer in order for the connection and software to be reinstated. Hopefully this will allow the VXI to re-identify the newly found VXI1 as VXI0. Also when you attempt to use Visa Interactive Control (VIC) does it throw you an error?  

Regards,

Izzy O.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

Message 2 of 6
(9,547 Views)

Hello Izzy,

Thanks for responding. I tried but I am unable to delete VXI0 from MAX. The "delete" option is grayed-out. (I am logged on with administrative rights).

Where is the configuration file?

I do see the VXI-MXI in Device Manager.

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,540 Views)

UPDATE:

I disabled VXI0 from Device Manager...this allowed me to delete VXI0 from MAX...then I un-installed VXI0 from the Device Manager...re-booted...the system found new hardware...I let it install the driver...MAX shows VXI0, but again, it can't talk to it (i.e. open up a VISA session).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,535 Views)

This might be difficult but could you post a screen shot of you not being able to access it via a visa session. 

Regards,

Izzy O.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(9,527 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TomMcG

Hi Izzy,

Thanks for replying. I've got it working again. I now see VXI0 ony and I'm able to open up a VISA session to all instruments. I suspect your instructions were good but that I didn't follow them properly. I eventually did everything and now it works.

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(9,521 Views)