VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXI-MXI-2 loses register values during normal operation. Causing Bus Errors.

The Setup:

I have a system with two VXI chassis and a MXI2 bus running between them.  Each VXI chassis has a VXI-MXI-2 card in slot zero.  The first chassis has VXI cards and the second chassis has VME cards.  I set registers 0xA, 0xC, 0xE, and 0x10 to 0x6100 on the first chassis’s VXI-MXI-2 card and 0x6180 on the second chassis’s VXI-MXI-2 card. 

The Problem:
This configuration runs smoothly 99% of the time.  Every so often we get a hiccup and lose the values in the 0xA, 0xC, 0xE, and 0x10 registers on the VXI-MXI-2 card in the second chassis.  The registers on that card are set to their default values of 0x1800.  This causes a problem, because we are unable to access the VME cards in the second chassis until the register’s values are reset properly.  We have verified with a bus analyzer that our software is not writing zeros across the VXI/MXI bus to those register.  It appears as though the second VXI-MXI-2 card is seeing a hard reset.  The first chassis is definitely not experiencing a hard reset.

Attempted fixes that have not worked:
1) We put back the register values back into place whenever we detect that the MXI2 registers have been reset.  We poll the registers at 1Hz.  While this fix is semi-adequate, there are times that we access the registers in the second chassis more frequent than 1Hz.

2) We have tried swapping out our second VXI-MXI-2 card with a new card, but the problem persists.

3) We have also swapped out the second VXI chassis with a new chassis, and that did not work.

My questions:

What could be causing this problem?  Has anyone else seen this problem?  What would cause the values in the VXI-MXI-2 card to reset to zeros besides a hard reset?   Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input,

Mike Arthur

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,590 Views)
Hi Mike,

We currently have a support request open on this issue, and we are working on it.

Thank you!

Regards,
Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,567 Views)