VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VME control using Lab Windows and VME-MXI-2

Help! I need to do the following from Lab Windows CVI:
1) set the VME control signals SYSRESET and ACFAIL to both logic 1 and 0.
2) read/write memory addresses from the VME memory map.

I've not used VME before, and these don't look like trivial tasks. The VME rack is fitted with a VME-MXI-2 card and the PC is fitted with a PCI-MXI-2 card. If anyone has had experience of this before and pointers would be very useful. (I can't find much on the NI web site)
Thanks Alan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,136 Views)
Alan,

As for reading and writing memory addresses from the VME memory map, you could use functions such as viIn8, viIn16, viIn32, viOut8, viOut16, or viOut32 in the NI-VISA API. You can find the NI-VISA Funtion help at "Start >> Programs >> National Instruments >> NI-VISA >> NI-VISA Help" for Windows. Alternativelly, the NI-VISA Programmers Reference Manual is available for download from ni.com.

What exactly is your application that uses ACFAIL? ACFAIL is typically pretty unrealiable, and is a difficult signal to catch (especially over a bus extension like MXI-2). Basically, ACFAIL is asserted right before a total failure/shutdown of the chassis, so you have a very short window of time to detect the signal before it disappears.

Regards,
Greg Caesar
App
lications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,136 Views)
Thanks for the memory map bits - accessing VME address space is starting to become clear.

The scenario is this: We are testing a card whose ultimate destination is in a VME rack. We need to be able to switch the signals acfail and sysreset to '1' and '0' independently and verify that the card performs as we expect. I do not need to catch either acfail or sysreset.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,136 Views)