VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VME PCI 8000 Series - Interrupts

Hi.

I have VME device connected to PCI card installed in the computer via MXI 2. I was using this device on Windows 95 and it was working fine. I was trying to use it on windows XP since our network doesn’t allow Windows 95 anymore. I downloaded NI-VXI 3.5.1. I am able to send data to the device and read it. The problem is with the interrupts, they are not active. I am able to assert them using VXI Interactive Control but cannot deassert or acknowledge them. 

So my question is. How can I use interrupts on my device.

Is there anything else besides NI-VXI 3.5.1 I need to install in order to initiate interrupts?

Thanks.

Adeel Butt

Brookhaven National Laboratory

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,614 Views)

Adeel,

How are you trying to handle the interrupts outside of the interactive control?  Could you provide a screenshot of your code if that is the method you are using?

You may need to install NI-VISA and try using one of the LabVIEW examples that comes along with it (help >> find examples in LabVIEW, then Hardware Input and Output >> VISA >> VXI-VME Interrupt Event Handler.vi).

You also may want to take a look at this article regarding an installed interrupt handler not being called:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/CAF7689D832BCBD4852563CB00591208?OpenDocument

Some additional information on the interrupt and signal acknowledge cycle:

http://www.ni.com/support/vxi/iack/iack.htm

Also, here is an example for queueing interrupts using VISA:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/2034

Regards,

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,602 Views)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying.

I tried to copy configuration of PCI-MXI 2 from Windows 95 and load it to Windows XP, but MAX gave me error “unable to save configuration changes, virtual register not found [-403]”. I am attaching screenshot of it.

Whenever I try to deassert Interrupt using Interactive Control it says unsupported function. Screenshot is attached.

Also when I checked the properties of the frame, it says that not all the functionality of this device is available. Screenshot is attached.

We are using this to control Linear Accelerator Timing Board. My supervisor wrote the code in Lab Windows. This code is working fine on Windows 95. Do I need an updated version of lab windows for XP? I am still using the one for Windows 95 on XP. Regardless of the version, I think the executable file should work even without the lab Windows Installed, right?

My questions are

Is my device is compatible with windows XP?

Can I operate interrupts in MAX?

How can I copy configuration from 95 to XP without getting error message?

Is there anything needs to be done with the hardware?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Adeel Butt

Brookhaven National Lab

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,593 Views)

Adeel,

To answer your questions:

Yes, the device should be compatible with XP.

You may be able to use VISA test panel to send the lower level interrupt commands through MAX. (or LabVIEW http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3928)

You'd probably be better off re-creating the system in MAX in windows XP (just copying the settings from the previous while you create the new one) just to ensure you're starting from a clean slate and everything is configured as it should be.  This would be a good next step regardless, reconfiguring the system in case something was corrupted during the upgrade process.

You should not need to make any changes in the hardware that I can think of when updating your OS.

Regards,

Chris Davis

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Ni.com/support 

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,567 Views)

Chris,

Thanks for replying,

I tried to run the LabVIEW program (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3928). I got an error "Error - 1073807346 at VISA open in lv_assert__vxi_interrupt.vi". Screenshot is attached.

Also, I get an error whenever I try to run examples in LabVIEW.

Regards,

Adeel

Brookhaven National Lab.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,555 Views)

Adeel,

Are you able to specify the VISA resource name in that program?  I believe that's what the error is conveying here.  This may also be due to the system having an error in MAX that we saw in one of your previous screenshots, and you may still need to clear the system and reconfigure it to try and remedy that issue.

Regards,

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,547 Views)

Hi Chris,

I have a question.

Is there anything other than interrupts I can use to access data?

Regards,

Adeel Butt

Brookhaven National Lab.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,539 Views)

Hi Adeel,

You can write specific messages (VXI signals) directly to the hardware Signal register (a register defined by VXI) of the other device. More information can be found here.

Sunaina K.
Product Marketing Manager for CompactRIO & TSN

Making the intangible, tangible
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(8,529 Views)