VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading the serial number of a VXI-MXI-2 through software

Is there a way to read the serial number of my VXI MXI 2 through software? I can find the model number and manufacturer number in the registers, but no serial number.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,516 Views)
I think the short answer is no, there's not a way. Getting things like the model and manufacturer number are inherent in the design of VXI - so an API can support it for any vendor. But the serial number is not something inherent in the design of VXI - so no API can expose that in a consistent fashion for all devices.

Some instrument drivers do have a method for retrieving a device's serial number. But since the VXI-MXI-2 is more of a controller than a normal device (technically it's actually an extender, but close enough) there isn't an instrument driver for it.

The serial number is also part of the response string for 488.2 compliant message based devices - but again, this is not a message based device.

There is, however, something that may help you
. If you need to manually find the serial number, then you should use Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX), right-click on the VXI-MXI-2, and choose Hardware Configuration. The serial number should be displayed in the title bar of the popup configuration dialog.

But I don't think there's a way to get this programmatically.

Dan Mondrik
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(6,516 Views)