From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-MXI-2 card freeze the Linux system with Red Hat MRG realtime kernel 2.6.24.7-139.el5rt

Hi,

As the PCI-MXI-2 Universal card is discontinued and is no longer available, so we purchased one PCI-MXI-2 card (Part Number: 777185-01) recently. We are still using the NI-VXI software for Linux (NI-VXI 2.1.0), so we installed the NI-VXI software on Red Hat MRG Realtime 1.2 (kernel 2.6.24.7-139.el5rt), every time the vximod module is loaded, the system freezes. Then I replaced the PCI-MXI-2 card with a PCI-MXI-2 universal card (Part Number: 778580-01) which we purchased a few years ago from NI, with this universal card installed, everything is working fine, the system does not freeze at all. But the PCI-MXI-2 card can work on a very old machine which is our development system and it is running kernel 2.6.16.

My question is why the PCI-MXI-2 card with the NI-VXI 2.1.0 freezes the Linux system 2.6.24.7-139.el5rt, and the PCI-MXI-2 universal card does not? Is there a way to resolve the problem?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,690 Views)

Hi mdsaero,

I just wanted to let you know I'm looking into this. To clarify, the new PCI-MXI-2 card works on the older system?

Allie

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,659 Views)

Yes, the PCI-MXI-2 card does work on an older system which is a Dell PowerEdge 2950, and is running the kernel 2.6.19-rt and using the same NI-VXI 2.1.0.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,654 Views)

mdsearo,

In a system that fully meets PCI spec and provides the corresponding 5V or 3.3V power (depending on the card and slot type), these two versions of the MXI-2 board should be functionally equivalent. Given that the universal board does work in your system and provides a working solution, my recommendation would be to purchase the universal cards for any applications that you have for this system set-up moving forward.

Hope this helps,

Eric K

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,641 Views)

Yes, you are right. But the problem is that NI had discontinued the universal PCI-MXI-2 card and is not available now. The only choice we have is to purchase the 5V non-universal PCI-MXI-2 card.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,637 Views)