VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor VME bus w/ VME_MXI_2 system

I'm trying to use the VXI/VME-MXI-2 system to monitor activity on the VME bus. I am obviously missing something as I seem unable to find any instructions as to how to do this. I have a proprietary pcb that is generating an INT0 signal, but nothing happens on the VME-MXI pcb.

Can someone point me to where I can get the setup information? Or am I expecting something that this hardware can not do?

thanks in advance.

tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,043 Views)

Hello tom2726, 

What hardware and software are you using for this VXI/VME-MXI-2 system?  Also, what version of the NI-VXI driver do you have on your computer?  You can find this information by going into My System » Software in Measurement and Automation Explorer.  

There will different methods of doing this depending upon your version of NI-VXI.  In later versions of VXI you will have this capability in VIC.  To get to VIC, go to Start » All Programs » National Instruments » VXI » NI-VXI API.  More information on this can be found here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8C24F7089594DEFF862564800051ED41?OpenDocument

Otherwise, you may have to use some of VXI's extra utilities.  More information on this can be found here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1D3B703ECD53B4DF86256B7500547D90?OpenDocument

Patrick W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,032 Views)

Sorry about the omission of the system stuff....

Running WInXP SP3, Have installed the VME/VXI/MXI-2 PCI system. Running VISA 5.1.2, VXI 3.8.1

Test System comprised of PC, MXI-2-PCI card, MXI-2-VME card, VME bus rack w/ one card under test (proprietary memory I/O).

Run VIC, select VME device address, go to Interrupt tab. Trigger interrupt on VME bus via board under test (verified w/ scope), no activity on VIC screen.

All the VIC screens seem to indicate VXI bus monitoring, do not see how to monitor or select VME bus monitor.

What am I missing? The VIC reference manual implies that I should be able to see interrupt status and generate an ACK.

FYI, we are trying to replace an old DOS based VME-VXI-MXI-AT interface system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,019 Views)

Hello tom2726, 

Are you able to send an interrupt from VIC?

In the interrupt tab, assert one of the interrupt lines.  The indicator of the line should turn red and your scope should confirm an interrupt.

Patrick W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,006 Views)

Yes, I have been able to send interrupt via the VIC software.

However, I need to see an interrupt on the VME bus generated by the board being tested.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,998 Views)

Interesting, do you have access to LabVIEW?  If so, try monitoring the bus using using these property nodes:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvvisaprop/vxi_vme_interrupt_event/

For an example of how one of these is used, take a look at the shipped example VXI-VME Interrupt Event Handler located in Help » Find Examples » Hardware Input and Output » VISA.  This example uses the Instrument Status ID property node to check the status of a VXI/VME VISA Resource.

Patrick W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,992 Views)

Sir:

reference labView, no I do not have a copy.

reference the example, where are you telling me to go to look? I have installed what I think is NIVISA, but am unable to see an application file to start it. What file name do I need to look for? The installation does not place a shortcut on the desktop.

I appologize if I seem confused. I am!

We are trying an evaluation board set (VXI-MXI-2, MXI-2-PCI and interconnect cable)that came with no software or documentation. I have tried to download the correct manuals/guides and s/w, but I am more than willing to accept that I've may not have gotten "the right stuff".

I do appreciate your patience.

tom

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,987 Views)

Tom, 

NI-VISA is our low level driver which can be used in a variety of programming languages, such as LabVIEW or CVI.  It doesn't place a shortcut on the desktop, and is installed with the NI-VXI driver.

What programming language are you using?  A good resource for figuring out what functions you need to use is the NI-VXI API Reference Help.  This can be found in Start » All Programs » National Instruments » VXI » NI-VXI API.

Patrick W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(8,983 Views)