From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXI3 - VXI, resman takes about 3 minutes to complete

After installing a mxi3 (optical) card into a WinXP system connected to a vxi mainframe with 1 Agilent 1432A running resman will take about 3 minutes to comlete. Windows installed the PCI mxi3 card automatically and I installed nivxi version 3.3.1. I'm attempting to configure a Win2000 system now to see if the problem is indeed OS related.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,275 Views)
Hi rhenson,

It seems unlikely that this problem is related to the operating system. I suspect that there is either a setting in the software or there is a hardware issue.

The first thing I would check is the Resource Manager Delay. This delay specifies how long Resman, the resource manager, will wait before it configures all of your instruments. This setting can be set in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX). Right click on your VXI System, select Properties, and select the Settings tab. By default, the Resource Manger Delay should be set to 5 seconds. If the delay is set to a higher number, I suggest you use a lower Resource Manager Delay.

It is also possible that this is a hardware issue. To determine if your VXI instrument or the MXI-3 system is
causing the problem, I suggest you test your VXI system without this VXI instrument. Swapping in another instrument or another MXI-3 kit would also be a good idea.

If none of this works, we'll need more information about this system before we can continue. Where exactly does the system hang? Watch Resman to find out what step is taking a long time.

Regards,

David Shatila
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,275 Views)
Hi rhenson,

It is also possible that there the bus timeout is not set correctly. If the bus timeout is disabled, your system could lock up, and if the bus timeout is set too high, resman could take a very long time to complete. I recommend you check the settings for the bus timeout on your PCI-MXI-2 board and on the VXI-MXI-2 board.

In Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX), right click on your VXI system and select Hardware Configuration. Select the MXI-2 Bus tab at the top. By default, the bus timeout is set to 1 ms. I recommend you use the default setting of 1 ms. You should also set the bus timeout on the VXI-MXI-2 card by right clicking on your VXI-MXI-2, selecting Hardware Configuration, and selecting the MXI-2 bus tab.

I hope that helps

David Shatila
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,275 Views)