VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX crashes on closing

I am running NIVXI 2.1.1 with the NI VISA 2.5 run-time on a VXIpc 872, and drivers for Agilent E1411B (version A 02 16) and NI 488.2 (v 1.70) on Windows 2000 SP4.

Whenever I close the Measurement and Automation Explorer (NIMAX.EXE v2.0.3.6) I get the following error:

Instruction at "0x62e01156" referenced memory at "0x02673604". The memory
could not be read.

I am relucant to upgrade to a higher version, particularly version 3, because the software we have did not work last time we tried.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,851 Views)
Astr-DAWE P-

Can you identify a recent change in your system that may have caused this error to start happening? From your description it sounds like NI-VXI 2.1.1 had been working for you in the past. It should be easier to track down the problem if we can identify what components are different from when it was working.

Also, we would of course encourage you to update to NI-VXI 3 and we would be interested to learn any details about the problems you had with this upgrade the last time you tried. It is important to us that you are able to continue to use existing applications when you upgrade to the latest drivers.

-Scot (VXI Senior Software Engineer)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,851 Views)
Thanks for your reply

Previously we were using Windows NT and the version of NI-VXI that came with it, which I believe is 2.0.5., which did work. Due to a project requirement we decided to upgrade to Windows 2000 SP4, and the first thing we tried was version 3.3.1 of NI-VXI, but our app didn't work with one of the cards so we downgraded to 2.1.1 (the closest to 2.0.5 that I could find that had Windows 2000 support), and used NI-VISA Run-time 2.5.

Incidentally, I just tried installing the most recent practically downloadable version of NI-DAQ (which was 6.9.3... did you know 7.0.1 is 597Mb???), which came with MAX 2.2, and that seemed to sort out the error we got when we closed MAX, but we still have the issue of the most recent drivers not working
with our app when it worked OK with NIVXI 2.0.5 and 2.1.1.

I have just tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling NI-VXI 3.3.1, NI-VISA Run-time 3.0.1, and finally a copy of NI-DAQ 7.0.1 that I found on a CD somewhere, and the same error kept coming up when attempting to connect to the DTCTM card, which the developer tells me comes from somewhere down at driver level:

-------
MAPPING A16 BaseAddress - c500
BILEVEL Card (LA:20) Initialisation -*FAILED*- VXI_A16MAP_ERROR
HP DMM Card [LA 30:31] Initialised - OK - No Errors.
-------

We can see the card in MAX 3, and ResMan works. This error renders the software useless as it cannot access the DTCTM card.

Thanks for any help.

Peter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,849 Views)
Hi Peter

Is there a reason why you are trying to map 0xC500 in A16 address space to the device at LA20, as the device at LA20 already gets that address space mapped to them automatically?

This is something that was probably allowed in NI-VXI 2 and probably disallowed in NI-VXI 3, as it is not really necessary.

SimonS

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,849 Views)
Hi Peter,

Actually, I believe that mapping A16 space of the configuration registers for your particular board in NI-VXI 3 is allowed. SimonS is correct that you shouldn't need to do it with NI-VXI 3.x and higher, but some older instrument drivers probably still do, so for that reason we have not changed this behavior.

In any case, this may not be the source of your problem, so I wanted to check with you and see if your system is up and working. If not, the most useful thing you could provide would be an NI-Spy log of your application running up to the point of error as that may help us determine why you are seeing a problem.

Cheers,
Josh Hernstrom
VXI Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,850 Views)