VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep getting Error Code 12 while attempting to use VXI-8360 ExpressCard

Solved!
Go to solution

Using Dell XPS M1530 laptop running Win XP SP3.  Everything ran great with same hardware back in September 08.  Now I am getting Error Code 12, "This device cannot find enough free resources that is can use. (Code 12)".  I have tried disabling other devices in my laptop like the Broadband card and the Media Slot with no symptom changes.  Is there a better way to understand what is going on and to get my computer back to working with the MXIExpress card? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(11,477 Views)

rhoover17,

There is a knowledge base article located at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/04C12CB4A5143ECC862572DC007B8DF6?OpenDocument that seems to address this problem very well.

Let me know if this does not help and you need more information.

Eric K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(11,465 Views)
The solution mentioned is not applicable.   I do not have the 8310 Cardbus and since this worked previously on this laptop, I can rule out a motherboard incompatibility.  I think it will be a driver conflict but need assistance is tracking it down.  Since last year I have updated XP to service pack 3 and other Windows updates.  I have tried disabling peripheral devices without any luck. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(11,458 Views)

rhoover17,

This does not seem to be a known issue with the VXI-8360, but have you tried reinstalling the driver for it?  What version on NI-VXI are you using? Have you updated your BIOS since the card was last working?  Also, are you being sure to have the VXI system on before turning on the laptop every time?

Eric K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message Edited by Eric K on 03-10-2009 02:23 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(11,455 Views)
I have uninstalled all of my NI software and reinstalled.  I have made sure the chassis was on before I powered on my computer to no avail.  I would like some troubleshooting hints on identifing the conflicting hardware?  Error Code 12 says it cannot find enough resources.  How can I identify the resources needed by the VXI-8360 that are not available so I can try to uninstall or disable them?  I have updated my Bios but I think it has worked since then.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(11,452 Views)

rhoover17,

To revisit the knowledge base article I directed you towards for just a moment, the article is telling you to remove the 8310 driver.  This article does apply directly to the 8360 card you are using.

"On some computers, having the NI CardBus-8310 driver installed can cause MXI-Express to fail with error code 12."

Can you please tell me if you have the 8310 Driver installed even though you don't have the 8310 card?

Eric K

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(11,440 Views)
I do not have the 8310 driver installed. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(11,437 Views)

rhoover17,

Are you getting this error in Measurement & Automation Explorer, or in the windows device manager?  If the device shows up correctly in device manager as a PCI-PCI bridge but is having issues in Measurement & Automation Explorer, it may be best to try resetting the Measurement & Automation Explorer database. This can be done by:

1. For MAX 4.1 or earlier, navigate to the folder found at: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX
For MAX 4.2 in Windows XP and 2000, navigate to the folder found at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\MAX\Data

2. Rename the Data folder to Data1. If you cannot rename the folder, go to the Windows Task
Manager and end the process called nimxs.exe and then go back and rename the folder.

3. Now navigate to the directory \Windows.

4. Delete the pxisys.ini and the pxiesys.ini if using MXI express.

5. Restart the PC and launch MAX. This will cause MAX to find the installed devices again and also recreate
the pxisys.ini and pxiesys.ini, if MXI express used. Now you should be able to identify your chassis without error in MAX.

If this does not work, I would encourage you to try using the MXI card in a different PC if you have one available, just to make sure that this isn't an issue with the card itself.  You also may want to have a look at the thread at http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=270&message.id=4887&requireLogin=False, as it deals with a very similar issue that ended up being just the MXI cable plugged in backward, but good troubleshooting steps were still discussed.

Eric K

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(11,430 Views)

Eric,

The error is in Windows Device Manager.  NI MAX does not even see the card.  I have two VXI-8360 cards and the both work in my other laptop, Dell XPS 1710.  I will look at the troubleshooting tips in the atricle and see if anything works. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(11,428 Views)

rhoover17,

If the problem is with windows device manager, then it seems that the issue is most likely with the BIOS or the OS.  I have not been able to find any known issues with XP SP3 and our MXI cards, and we do have some systems here running with this set up just fine.  Can you tell me if the other laptop you have tested this with is running SP3 as well?  Also, is the laptop you are having issues with running 32-bit or 64-bit XP?

Eric K

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(11,424 Views)