From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install VXI/MXI pn RedHat 5

I'm trying to install the VXI/MXI drivers on a Red Hat ENterprise Linux 5 box but I'm getting the following errors when I try to compile the driver.

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-371.3.1.el5PAE/build SUBDIRS=/usr/local/nivxi/src KBUILD_VERBOSE=0 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-371.3.1.el5-PAE-i686'
  CC [M]  /usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.o
In file included from /usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:13:
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:59:42: error: macro "mutex_acquire" requires 4 arguments, but only 1 given
In file included from /usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:13:
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:59: warning: ‘regparm’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:59: warning: ‘cdecl’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:61:42: error: macro "mutex_release" requires 3 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:61: warning: ‘regparm’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:61: warning: ‘cdecl’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:128:31: error: macro "mutex_acquire" requires 4 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:133:31: error: macro "mutex_release" requires 3 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:146:31: error: macro "mutex_acquire" requires 4 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:158:31: error: macro "mutex_release" requires 3 arguments, but only 1 given
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/local/nivxi/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-371.3.1.el5-PAE-i686'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,266 Views)

Hi Saldon,

What VXI MXI device do you have? Also, what driver version are you attempting to install?

Regards,

Mike Watts
Product Manager - Modular Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,249 Views)

Hardware is PCI-MXI-2, software is version 2.1.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,246 Views)

Hi Saldon,

Thank you for the additional information. I reviewed the NI-VXI installation protocols for Linux, specifically page 61 (linked below) and I wanted to check a few things with you. Are you logged in as root? Also, were you able to mount the cd and run the ./INSTALL command? Is this the point that you encounter the error that you pasted in your original message?

NI-VXI Software Installation for Linux

Regards,

Mike Watts
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,241 Views)

Yes, I am root. Yes, I can mount the CD and run the INSTALL command and yes, that is where I see the errors. I can re-create these errors by running the make command. We just purchased the drivers from NI a couple weeks ago and the CD does state that is supports the 2.6 kernel. I have a copy of the documentation you linked to and I did follow it during my initial install.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,239 Views)

Hi Saldon,

Thank you for the clarification. So, it looks like Linux kernel version 2.6 is indeed supported by the NI-VXI 2.1.0 driver, but the driver Readme also mentions that the driver has only been tested on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. This information is available in the NI-VXI 2.1.0 Readme and the KnowledgeBase article linked below. 

NI KnowledgeBase Article: Which Linux Kernels Do The Different Versions of NI-VXI for Linux Support?

Also, I spoke with the R&D Product Engineers for these products and they confirmed this information as well. I believe that there is currently work being done to develop a new NI-VXI version that supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, but there is no date available for the release at this time. I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Mike Watts
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,237 Views)