From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need info on HF equivalent stiffness testing

Currently, I can test the low frequency equivalent stiffness of brackets welded on light truck frames. Some people call this "point mobility testing" Now I need to test stiffer brackets that have higher natural resonant frequencies. I need to develop a high frequency equivalent stiffness test, but almost no literature can be found on this subject.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,039 Views)
Greetings,

I do not have any information concerning high frequency equivalent stiffness testing, but if you would like to describe your application in a bit more detail, I would be happy to point you in the right direction in regards to the NI products that may be a good fit for what you are trying to accomplish.

Spencer S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,039 Views)
Spencer,
I'm looking for techniques. By attaching an accelerometer to the underside of a steel bracket that is welded onto a structure, you can determine the stiffness of that bracket using standard modal test equipment. An input force is applied with a modal hammer to the top of the bracket. The FRF (Frequency Response Function) from the accel is converted from A/F to V/F to D/F (deflection/force). This is called "equivalent stiffness testing" The technique works on relatively thin sheet metal brackets with resonance peaks under 200Hz. How do I do it for stiffer brackets over 4mm thick where the resonance peaks are over 200Hz? An expert in Modal Analysis may know the answer.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,039 Views)