From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delicacy of USB-VXI drivers

I've been having problems with the USB-VXI drivers.  The cause can be different, but the symptom is always the same.

Symptom:  The computer hangs inside a VXIMove.  There is no way on the computer end to recover once you are there (killing LabView takes a while, with a "Resetting vi" message, and then the computer won't even reboot without a hard reset).  I did find that cycling power on the VXI chassis does get out of the lockup situation.  But in any case, it's not a stable environment.

I have seen this happen at times on a straight USB connection, but the big problem system is admittedly more complex.  It uses USB-to-fiber transceivers so that the VXI chassis can be 50 meters away from the control computer (tried the fiber-VXI connection and had a multitude of problems; inconvenient power-on sequence restrictions, problems passing fiber through bulkheads, etc.).  Anyway, in this form, it may work fine for a while, but seems to hang when the rate of VXI traffic increases.  This is an application that has run for years using MXI-2 connections.

On another (straight-thru) system, I've seen the identical problem simply when another near-by device was powered on during times of heavy VXI access (power was properly conditioned; this problem is more rare but still happens).

Of course, these systems are using the only form of NIVXI drivers that supports USB (3.5). 

So my questions are:  any thoughts?  Will an updated version of NIVXI in the near future likely resolve the problem?

Note:  on the key problem system, we originally used USB-1.0 to fiber transceivers.  These gave no problems, but VXI operations took way too long...

Never had any problems with MXI-2, but it's not suitable for this one version of our system...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,375 Views)

Hi jraber:

I'd like to get a little more information from you if possible.

1) Can you give me some information about your host controller?  What kind of computer is it?  What chipset?  Are you using the motherboard USB or a USB port from a plug in card?

2) How often does this problem occur?  Can you post an NI-Spy capture of when the problem occurs?

3) Finally, when the problem does occur you say you can power off the chassis to get it working again, have you tried just unplugging then replugging the USB cable?

Regards,

Emilie S.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,363 Views)