From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure Agilent E8408A mainframe in LabView

How do I configure an Agilent E8408A mainframe with Agilent E8491B IEEE-1394 VXI card and Agilent E1419 Multi-Function (Option 011) so that Labview can recognize it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(13,709 Views)
tanonev,

You can use HP-VISA, and LabVIEW to communicate using your Agilent 1394 card. The following KnowledgeBase explains how you can use HP-VISA with a HPIB board and Labview, but it will work for your VXI system as well using the proper VISA resource name.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E56D3D4866BE0A8A86256942006626F0

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
Message 2 of 15
(13,694 Views)
How do I handle the error messages? Do they use a different set of numbers? And does this work with VXI mainframes as well?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(13,675 Views)
OK, I uninstalled HP-VISA, left HP-SICL, and installed NI-VISA. However, when I went into MAX 2.1, there was no NI-VISA option in the Tools menu. What am I doing wrong? Should I reinstall MAX?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(13,671 Views)
tanonev,

This might be because of an old version of MAX/VISA. Or it might be a bad install. The KnowledgeBase said VISA 2.6, but it is really VISA 2.6 or newer. I would recommend using the latest VISA, which will include a newer version of MAX as well.

The other way you can enable the NiVisaTulip.dll is to expand the Software folder in MAX and click on NI-VISA. At the bottom of the page you can click on the VISA Options tab. Then Select Passports under General Settings.

Hopefully this helps out!

Shawn B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(13,585 Views)
Oh, if you are using NI-VISA you can use a Simple Error Handler since you will be using our VISA VIs. I'm not sure if Agilent's VISA uses the same error codes, but you could always unbundle the error cluster to view the error code if they are different.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(13,583 Views)
OK, I got it to show up in MAX, thanks to your help. But I guess I can't create virtual channels with VXI the way I did with a DAQ board? So that means I have to use the Instrument I/O VIs instead of the nice wizard...
Am I supposed to use the VISA VIs, or the Instrument Driver VIs for the E1419A? The Instrument Driver VIs are, well, cryptic, especially for a novice like me. Unlike the E34401A, there are no nice examples to work off of, so I'm supposed to work with these intimidating VIs named INIT and TRIGGER, which, to be honest, I don't understand at all...could you point me to some tutorial for using Instrument Driver VIs? Right now, all I want to do is to be able to take thermocouple readings from the E1419A, which has the 64-channel option 011.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(13,570 Views)
tanonev,

You can use VISA or the instrument driver you found to communicate with your instrument. Both will work just fine. Usually Instrument drivers are created because they simplify the tasks and allow you to perform common tasks for your device. VISA will allow you to send and receive commands to you device, usually these commands can be found in the manual for your device. This tutorial may help you understand how to use VISA and instruments Drivers better.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/1b247c334745c03f8625694d0045c63c?OpenDocument

Shawn B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(13,561 Views)
The manual? What manual? Umm...I'd better go look...when they handed me the equipment, there was no manual to go with the E1419A...yes, a manual would definitely help...thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(13,547 Views)
tanonev,

I looked online for the manual, but all I could find was the service manual on Agilent's site. I hope you have better luck finding one!

Shawn B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(13,538 Views)