VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you programmatically change VXI System ID

We work with many stations using VXI chassis controlled by PCs with MXI-2 controllers in them. Various folks use these stations as they are available, and have their own removable hard drives that the OS and software are installed on (Windows XP/7). One of the problems we have when moving from station to station is that the VXI systems are constantly changing because the hardware is different. Normally we go into MAX, delete the old systems, and reset the real one to system ID 0. I have been searching to see if there's a way we could add this configuration step into a utility that could do this when we startup our own software test programs. We work mostly in C++ & C# using MS Visual Studio 2010, but if it's something I can script into a batch file that would work too. The problem is that I really haven't been able to find anything like this yet... Is there an API somewhere that gives me access to these settings (GPIB interface ID would be great too)? Can I do something with the default RM to configure interface devices?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,170 Views)

Hi ScoJay,

I think all of the functions that you'd be interested in would be part of the System Configuration API.  Here is a link to the function reference help:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373242E-01/

You can import and export MAX configurations using this API, but I'm not sure if importing a configuration would 'reset' the system id of the VXI system.  I'm thinking that it might, but you'll have to try it out to be sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon F.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,153 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have poked around with the NISysCfg stuff and do not see how I could accomplish this. I have tried numerous times to use NISysCfgExportConfiguration too, but it never seems to generate a file. When I tried exporting in MAX it doesn't seem to include some of the interfaces (i.e. GPIB). Right now I am testing with a GPIB-USB-HS to explore the configuration settings in MAX, and am looking for a way to change the inetrface ID from GPIB0 to GPIB1. I am assuming if I can figure that out that I could probably get the change from VXI1 to VXI0 working too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(7,116 Views)