VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Make VTI VM2710A Soft Front Panel Work - NI MAX and IOSUITE See Board, But SFP Won't Run

I have a VTI Instruments VM2710A in an NI VXI-1000 Mainframe, with VTI Instruments Slot 0 interface connected through TCPIP on an internal network.

I am able to do *IDN? on both NIMAX and IOSuite 16.3.  I can reset the instruments.  I have VISA installed in side-by-side mode.  I have tried running the VBM2710A soft front panel software, but I get the message:

Function Origin: Main

Driver Function Called:  vtvm2710_autoConnectToFirst

Insufficient Location Information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

In NIMAX, I ran an IOTrace, and I got 0 codes on all except line 35, which said:

> 35. viOpen (0x0031C060, "TCPIP0::192.168...68::vxi0::INSTR", 0, 0, 0x00000000)
> Process ID: 0x00001D74 Thread ID: 0x000009C4
> Start Time: 17:21:18.183 Call Duration 00:00:02.001
> Status: 0xBFFF0011 (VI_ERROR_RSRC_NFOUND)

For some reason, this soft front panel can not find the resource.  I have been suspecting that it is a VISA conflict betweem NI and IOSuite.  So I have tried every combination I can think of making one of the other the VISA.  I did receive the message that the 32 bit VXI must use Agilent.  Any obvious setting combinations I am missing here?  I am not a high level programmer.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,127 Views)

Hello,

This does seem like a conflict between NI-VISA and IOSUITE.  What version of NI-VISA do you have installed on the system?  Are the devices recognized by Windows Device Manager?

Try to enable the NiVisaTulip.dll for NI-VISA from in MAX:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3B3626D9C1F999218625694200791AD7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon F.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,113 Views)

I do have NIMAX Tulip enabled.  As far as being recognized by the device manager, I'm not sure how that would be accomplished, as the instrument with the problem is not on this computer, but in a remote VXI chassis accessed via network/TCPIP. 

My NI VISA is version 15.0.1, and NIMAX is v15.0.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,107 Views)

Are you using the EX2500A LXI contoller?  If so, there are very specific instructions from VTI about how to install the Agilent VISA in conjunction with NI-VISA on the product manual below:

http://www.vtiinstruments.com/files/MANUALS/EX2500A-QSG.PDF

Take a look at section 1 and follow the instructions for either having NI-VISA as the primary or Agilent VISA as the primary VISA on your system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon F.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,088 Views)