VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressing error

I'm building a system that has a VME chassis and a PC, communicating over a MXI-2 card.  I've built several of these systems before, they are all exact copies of each other.  (The address settings are the same, etc.)  On the most recent one, I started seeing this problem: when I run resman, I get an error: "device at logical address 101 did not respond to read protocols command (error 0xBFFF0038)". 

If I change the address of the chassis to something other than 101-127, the error goes away.   The thing is, the address has to be set to 101 per customer specifications.

Since I have a few systems around, I tried switching out the MXI-2 card.  The problem was still there.  I tried using a different cable, same problem.  Different PC, same problem.  I tried a different chassis, same problem.  So it looks like suddenly I have a bunch of bad hardware, but I can't isolate the issue to any particular piece, its only when the pieces are put together that the error appears.  However, I do have an old, good chassis/card combo that I used to verify the PC and cable are working properly, so I'm pretty sure the problem is in the current chassis/card combo.  

Any ideas about this would be appreciated!  Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,592 Views)
Hey Speakers,
 
I'm kinda curious that swapping out the parts with another identical system can't narrow down the cause of the problem. Instead of trying 1 new part in your problem chassis. Could you try 1 part from your problem chassis into a working system untill you can find the part that causes the working chassis to fail. I would say if none of the hardware seems to have the problem follow it, I would recommend to repair the NI-VXI driver, but it seems that since you tried a different PC, that shouldn't be the problem.
 
Let's say to make it simple, let's Say Chassis A is a good chassis, and Chassis B is the bad chassis. and you have:
 
A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 <-> B1 B2 B3 B4 B5
    (Fine)                           (Problem)
first switch should be
 
B1 A2 A3 A4 A5 <-> A1 B2 B3 B4 B5
   (Fine)                             (Problem)
Finally after a few switches,  I'l be really suprised if finally, you do not see the problem follow the hardware at:
 
B1 B2 B3 B4 A5 <-> A1 A2 A3 A4 B5
    (Fine)                            (Problem)
If above, the problem still stays in the same unit, switch the final unit (B5) and see if the problem follows that.
 
B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 <-> A1 A2 A3 A4 A5
    (Fine)                           (Problem)
 
If after you switch everything, and now all the B units work, and the A Units do not, there's got to be something else that has not been switched between the hardware.
 
********I'm not trying to make it too simple my explanation, this is for me the easiest way to explain it
 
****** I know you've tried swapping the parts, but even if it were software or hardware related, there's no reason the problem shouldn't follow 1 of the hardware parts.
 
 
Regards,
 
Nick D.
 
 
 
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,573 Views)