VI Analyzer Enthusiasts Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Analyzer Feature Idea - Ignoring Individual Results

You guys suck so bad.  See I'm starting to use the VI Analyzer more and going through the things it is flagging as failures might not be failures, as long as the code is reviewed and understood that this design choice is acceptable.  So I wanted to add a comment on the block diagram which basically states that this thing you think is a failure has been reviewed and doesn't need to show up in the failure list.  Instead of making a new topic I did a quick search and boom, stole my idea.

So now that I got that out of the way.  I'm a big fan of having an attached comment, to state that failures should be ignored.  We can do this today, as long as we can edit each of the tests and look for a comment attached to the object being tested.  Moving forward I'd love to see this be a native feature.

EDIT:  Oh what about this, if we had a way to select an object, and then flag it some how to accept specific failures from a VI Analyzer test.  Lets say I have a comment on the block diagram where the word "mistyped" appears and the spell checker thinks it is a failure.  If I could right click the object and say ignore any spell check failures.  Quick drop could be used too of course.  Internally this could set a Tag on the GObject that gets saved with the file. 

I'm not against the attached comment, but I'm not a fan of taking up more block diagram space, on a comment which doesn't help read-ability of the code.

Double Edit: But I'm not sure how either of these will handle things like ignore a diagram size.  It is hard to attach a comment to a block diagram object, and even right clicking and setting a tag isn't all that easy.

Maybe from the VI Analyzer Results Window we could set the tag on each of the occurrences of a failure.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,664 Views)

Hey everybody, we might get some movement on this feature in LabVIEW 2016. See here for more details.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,664 Views)

I have been looking for this feature in VI Analyzer for quite a while, now I have stumbled onto this thread.

I would like to use VI Analyzer as a review tool.  That would mean that it could not change the code that it is reviewing.  But I would like to be able to "Appove" through a review process, any code that does not conform to a code standard.  For example, we could say that you will use the 4,2,2,4 connector layout, unless there are good reasons to deviate.

My ideal solution would run through the tests  and output a report.  The report would list the Failures, and that they were approved deviations, and who appoved this (potentialy a list of names).  This approval would only apply for the deviation as it was reviewed.  So for example, say a wire is a Fail because it has 8 bends (more than the limit), this gets approved in a review, but then during an update the wire now has 12 bends, this becomes a Fail as this deviation from the rule has not yet been appoved.  This would then need to be reviewed again to see if people consider this new deviation acceptable.

It feels to me more like a post process to the analysis rather than blocking the analysis.

Thus I would like this in some type of configuration file that would be external to the VIs.  This can then live with the code or in a separated location.

Currently I use the Unit Test Framework to launch VI Analyzer.   I have a Unit Test that checks a VI that is in the prokect, this VI launches VI Analyzer using a config file.  Thus VI Analyser Failures equal unit test failures.  The VI finds and loads the config file for VI Analyzer through a relative path, so that I have a common location for the config for all my projects.  The config is set to analyse any VI in the project's path.  While this works realy well for development, it is missing the features for a code review, like conditional approval of code.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,664 Views)