VI Analyzer Enthusiasts Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Custom Tests

Solved!
Go to solution

I am working on creating tests that are specific to our company's standards guideline.  I just started.  The first one that I am working on is the following.

- Suppress dialog error reporting for unattended or remote operation.

The only idea I have is to query the block diagram and come up with a list of VIs used and then compare them to the known list of dialog producing VIs.  But I am having difficulty finding a way to create this list programatically.

I have a others that I need, but I wanted to take this one at a time.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(8,004 Views)

I don't think there is a way to generate this list programmatically, since a "dialog" could be any VI that has its panel programmatically shown, and is statically (or dynamically!) configured to be a modal dialog.

So you would need to provide a list of VIs and functions. And you'd probably want to provide a way for users to specify additional VIs that they know are used as dialogs in the application being tested. As far as stuff that ships with LabVIEW, I can think of:

General Error Handler.vi

Simple Error Handler.vi

One Button Dialog

Two Button Dialog

Three Button Dialog.vi

Any of the File I/O functions (and some VIs) with an empty path wired in will pop up a file dialog

File Dialog (function and express VI)

This is not a comprehensive list, just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Message 2 of 17
(6,440 Views)

I have another test that I am running into trouble with.  How can I test to make sure all VI's that have error inputs and outputs have them connected on the block diagram to something?  I have been going through the list of the ones that ship with LabVIEW.  I hope I haven't missed it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(6,440 Views)

You have to disable automatic error handling, so VI's without wired error connector won't produce dialogs.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(6,440 Views)

Yes that is something to do.  But I also want to make sure the designer has wired up all possible error outputs and done the proper error handling on them.  I guess this is probably just going to have to be a visual inspection.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(6,440 Views)

The Block Diagram > Warnings > Error Cluster Wired test in the VI Analyzer Toolkit will return a failure for any diagram object that does not have its error output wired.

Message 6 of 17
(6,440 Views)

I have another issue I need help with.  It appears that after I am able to run the tests that I create for VI Analyzer but I can't look at the errors from the results list.  I have attached the lib for one of the tests I am having issue with and a picture of the error.  This problem occurs even when I run the test by itself.

I have trying to change different things like adding or removing Close Ref VIs.  I thought maybe closing the references to the controls was the problem. 

The latest change I made was to create a seperate array for the references for when I convert them to a another class to be able to get the right informaiton out of them.  But that didn't seem to help.

I also added the test VI I was using.

I am assuming that whatever I am doing wrong on this test I am doing wrong on all the tests that I created.  I am running this on LV2015.

Thanks for your help!!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(6,440 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoeWork

You need to populate the RD VI of your test. See the "Configuring the Test to Highlight Failures" section here for more information:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361G-01/lvvianalyzerhelp/writing_vian_test/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(6,440 Views)

Is it possible to select a different folder for the User-Specified test other than:

//LabVIEW Data/VI Analyzer Tests

I am asking because I want to be able to put my tests that are created in a source control repository.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(6,440 Views)

There are only two locations that VI Analyzer tests can reside:

[LabVIEW Data]\VI Analyzer Tests

[LabVIEW 20xx]\project\_VI Analyzer\_tests

If you want to keep your tests in source control, I recommend using VIPM to create a package that installs the tests to the [LabVIEW 20xx] location. Most people I know that take this approach create a folder in there with their company name, then categorize tests under that folder.

Message 10 of 17
(6,440 Views)