From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VI Analyzer Enthusiasts Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration File Load Times

I'm working on a tool to programmatically interact with Git to identify changed files and test only those to give a developer a quick pre-commit check.

One problem I have is that the configuration file I have seems to take quite a while to load (15-25 seconds). Is this common or should I be looking for something in the configuration which will cause this delay?

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,062 Views)

Loading a config file in the UI or the API also loads all VI Analyzer tests into memory. If you have any custom tests on your system that aren't saved in the current LabVIEW version, that could cause test load times to increase, which would then cause .cfg file load time to increase.

Can you use the VI Analyzer CFG Exporter in your process? I'm pretty sure this tool just looks at the file contents and does not load the tests into memory.

Also, VI Analyzer configuration files in LabVIEW 2018 and later will be XML-based, which should make the kind of tooling you're describing a lot easier to manage.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,042 Views)

Hi Darren,

I do actually want to run the tests as well so the load will be necessary.

There are a number of custom tests that it refers to so this seems like a likely culprit. I created a VI package to install them that I would expect should mass compile them? But I will look into their versioning and see if it might be to blame.

Cheers,

James

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,040 Views)

I have seen numerous times over the past few years where VIPM claimed to mass compile after install but didn't actually do it. In fact, I know that the DQMH Toolkit package has a custom step after install that mass compiles source to avoid this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,038 Views)