From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Unit Testing Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback from those with experience of large scale successes!

I'm always interested in applying proper Software Quality Control measures and tools to my developments, but I've found it pretty tough. Requirements Gateway is great until you suddenly need to change a requirement mid-development and then you're stuck wondering how best to manage the change. Unit Testing is a great concept, but in practice I find it rarely satisfies my expectations. In truth, I want to use these tools, because I know they will ultimately help.

This is an appeal for feedback from those users out there who regularly use Software Quality Control tools like Unit Test Framework, and do so with undoubted success. Those who have discovered the pitfalls and holes in the processes and products and have figured workarounds and avoidance tactics. Those who are working in large teams and have successfully applied these principles to numerous large scale application developments. I'm looking for some positive feedback on the tools we use. Discussion forums often focus on issues, complications and weaknesses in products/ideas/practices, and as such it's all too easy to perceive the processes as being flawed. Let's use this space to talk about just how great Unit Testing and other software control tools really are. How they've saved us time. How they've saved our bacon when they discovered a bug! How they've proven reliably that our code is working as it should! How they've convinced our customers that they've getting a solid return on their investment!

Also, if anyone is up for more public sharing, I'm appealing for a presentation/theme at the European CLA Summit 2015 that covers Software Quality Control principles in the real world, because I want to learn from and discuss with other developers their unique and invaluable experiences. Please consider voting for my post by liking it here, and if you're able to contribute to a presentation then please step up and volunteer. I most certainly will back you, as I'm sure most other attendees will.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 1 of 1
(3,117 Views)