cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference ettus ni boards

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Sir/Madam

What is the difference between NI and native Ettus modules? Can Ettus modules be supported via LabVIEW, like NI's board USRP-2921?

Thank you

Regards

Albert

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,944 Views)

Hi Albert,

The NI modules and the native Ettus modules are very similar.  The main difference between them from a user perspective is the FPGA image and the firmware.  Currently, the NI-USRP driver for LabVIEW provides support for 3 Ettus motherboards.  It will work with the N200, N210, and the USRP2.  There are currently 7 daughterboards that are supported as well.  You can find a list of them in the driver readme.  If you have and Ettus USRP and would like to use it with LabVIEW, you will need to update the FPGA image and the firmware.  You can find more information about how to do this on page 16 of the Getting Started Guide.  The process is a little different between the N2xx and the USRP2, but both are described in the Getting Started Guide.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question, I'd be happy to help.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,937 Views)

Thank you, Sarah. My understanding of your reply is that there is no hardware differences and that the software is fully upgradable and one can choose between Ettus' original firmware and NI's.

Best regards

Albert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,933 Views)
Solution
Accepted by AAL

Hello Albert -

It is true that NI USRP hardware is based on Ettus Research products. NI USRP hardware has gone through additional engineering review and in some cases PCB revision.  They have been fully assembled, tested and CE certified.  The hardware is strictly version controlled and supported by NI's application engineering technical support team and product warranty program. NI does not guarantee compatibility between NI USRP motherboards and Ettus Research USRP daughter board modules. While the NI-USRP driver is compatible with Ettus Research USRP hardware little testing has been done and we can not guarantee a seamless user experience.  If you plan to use LabVIEW we strongly recommend NI USRP to ensure your success.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,928 Views)

can I ask whether these ETTUS boards will be available as an oem unit for customers to incorporate inside their own systems or are they just a development system in which case cost is an issue and we dont want to be forced to take the PCBs out of the boxes and throw the boxes away. thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,258 Views)

Hi EDFACS,

I would recommend that you get in touch with a sales representative.  They should be able to help you find out more details for ordering OEM boards and pricing, which is not something that we can do on a forum page.  You can email them at sales@ettus.com, or by phone at +1 (650) 967-2870.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,254 Views)