USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can using a T-connector to connect 3 USRPs damage the devices?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm thinking of connecting 3 USRPs via a T-connector. Are there any risks involved? Does it have to be some special advanced connector, like a circulator or it can be just any T-connector?

Thanks for the help!

Filip

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,628 Views)

Hi Filip,

Are you looking to combine signals for transmit or receive?  I have used a splitter/combiner for both scenarios without any issue (like this one).

For receive, the important thing to consider is the input power to the device.  If the signal you send to your device is higher power than the maximum input (about -10 dBm, but it varies by daughterboard), you risk damaging your hardware.

For transmit, I would make sure the model you purchase has 50 Ohm impedance to match the SMA connector on the device.  If there is a large impedance mismatch, the signal you are transmitting could be reflected back and cause damage to your device.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,621 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author filipfilip

Thanks for the warning!

But are there any risks if I connect 2 devices using the 30 dB attenuator and the cable that were included in my USRP purchase? Should I also mind the Tx powers on the devices or there is no risk if I use the NI cable and attenuator, reagrdless of the Tx power I set? As far as I can see, the maximum actual Tx gain is about 35 dB and the attenuator pretty much kills it all.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,619 Views)