cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP RIO 2953R update firmware

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi James_Battleaxe,

i've installed MXI compatibility tool following the instruction, then in the NI-USRP Configuration Utility can't detect USRP RIO device. that i installed in normal mode.

and then i tried install in safe mode too, because i think in the following instruction doesn't notice where i should installed that software. during installation in safe mode, occur error that made me couldn't continues the installtion as the screenshot that i attach below.

thanks, 

Rama

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 28
(2,600 Views)

Hi Rama,

Typically, your computer won't allow you to install things in safe mode so that part is expected behavior. Just to confirm, did you follow all the steps to ensure the 8360 was in mode 1? 

If so, can you post some screenshot of what the device looks like in MAX and the windows Device Manager?

James F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 28
(2,594 Views)

Hi James_Battleaxe,

i think, i follow all the steps from the installation instructions. but i don't know where the DIP switch is for my device.

the screenshot attach below.

Thanks,

Rama

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 28
(2,588 Views)

Hi Rama,

Based on the screenshots you've sent, it looks like the MXI compatibility tool did not resolve this issue. At this point, I think you can uninstall that software and revert your 8360B device back to mode 0. We have instructions for changing the mode of the 8360 device. It is a different process than all of our other MXI devices and is called out clearly in the readme. You can follow those instruction to change the mode and then uninstall the MXI compatibility tool in that order.

Since this doesn't seem to be a MXI issue, I have some other questions for you. When you saw LabVIEW Comms 2.0 crashing, was it happening with just 1 particular project? Was it crashing with example code as well?

In addition, have you tried using the device through an ethernet connection instead? I understand that will not allow you to customize the FPGA, but I was wondering if that worked at all for your device. 

James F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 28
(2,579 Views)

Hi James,

Thanks for your help, I thought i knew my problem come from USRP device (2943R) that i used before, because after i connect my laptop using the other USRP device (USRP 2950R), the labview communication project run  normally.

but i have a  more question, is there any certain differences spesification for laptop or pc to connect between USRP 2943R and 2950R?

Thanks,

Rama

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 28
(2,562 Views)

Hi Rama,

There shouldn't be any differences in laptop requirements for connecting with the USRP 2950R vs the 2943R. Both should interface the same way through the Expresscard 8360B. I'm not really sure why the USRP 2943R is giving you trouble while the USRP 2950R is working. I would recommend trying the USRP 2943R on a different laptop or connecting to it via the ethernet port to see if that works.

James F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 28
(2,509 Views)

Dear James,

I read this discussion thread. I think I am experiencing the similar problem, but sure exactly the same problem as Rama. I am using USRP 2953R. The most similar part I am experiencing is crash problem of NiUsrp_Configuration_Utility when I choose update firmware. I also tried some other firmware update method, but none of them works. I posted the detailed information here for help. I necessary I can open a new topic.

I have some problems with updating the USRP 2943R FPGA Firmware (Ettus X310). The phenomenon is shown as below:

NI MAX can recognise the device, looks normal, but not in fact. (In Figure1)

From NI-USRP Configure Utility, we can see that device is shown in the wrong status (In figure1)

problem screen shot.jpg

Figure 1

When I click tab “N2xx/NI-29xx Image Update”, NI-USRP Configure Utility will crash as shown in Figure 2

update in utility.png

Figure 2

I’ve tried all the firmware updating method I know: NI MAX, NI-USRP Configure Utility, run program “uhd_image_load”, using “White Bitfile to Flash.vi” in LLB manager. None of them can update the firmware in the problematic USRP

I also tried using some other tool to know the source of the problem: I tried to implement the “uhd_USRP_probe”, I found the following information:

X300 initialization sequence... 

-- Determining maximum frame size... 1472 bytes. 

-- Setup basic communication... 

-- Loading values from EEPROM... 

-- Setup RF frontend clocking... 

-- Radio 1x clock:200 

-- Detecting internal GPSDO.... No GPSDO found 

-- Initialize Radio control

-- Performing register loopback test... pass 

My system often stops at: Initialize Radio control, with the following report:

The error information is "Could not create nirio_zero_transport", I have not seen this error before. Also, there is no information online about this error.

With this error, if I run my program, there will be some problem on the FPGA interface. I located the error report, but no clue to resolve it.

The error report is from x300_impl.hpp, line 219: uhd::niusrprio::niusrprio_session::sptr rio_fpga_interface;

The code of x300_impl.hpp is in this link: https://files.ettus.com/manual/x300__impl_8hpp_source.html 

Anyone can find out some hints about what’s wrong in my system.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Bo  

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 28
(2,253 Views)

Hi Bo,

Please create a new post to discuss this topic. Feel free to reference this post in your new post.

Regards,

Finch Train

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 28
(2,235 Views)