From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP 2953 FPGA image version problem

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi 

I am a new beginner of USRP, I have some problems when I using the USRP, and want to know if you can help me out, great thanks in advance.

Junshi Chen 

The USRP module is URSP 2953 with 40MHz, and I connect it to a laptop with Windows 10 64 bits by PCI express card.

Currently, the software versions of USRP are as follow:

1. Labview 2016 64-bit

2.  NI-USRP 1610

3. 2015 SP1 (64-bit) f7 Patch

I update the FPGA image usrp_x310_fpga_HG.lvbitx by USRP Configuration utility . One problem is that the laptop may not be able to recognize the  USRP driver. The other problem is that the laptop will mistake the FPGA image version as an old one.

According to the user manual Getting started with USRP 2953, I  should start the USRP firstly, then power on the laptop, but by this way, my laptop cannot recognize the USRP driver, and I see from the device manager the following error report. 

Inline image 1

If I power on laptop firstly, then power on USPR, then USRP can be recognized correctly but with wrong FPGA image version, then I have the following error message from the tool: NI-USRP Configuration Utility. 

Inline image 2 

If we try to update the image with NI-USRP Configuration Utility, I have incompatible problem as follow:

Inline image 3

When this problem occurs, I power off USRP firstly, then keep on pressing the power button of laptop to force it to power off. After both devices are powered off, I turn on the USRP firstly, and then power on the laptop after wise. Sometimes, the FPGA image version is correctly detected, and I have the following message in NI-USRP Configuration Utility. 

Inline image 4

I want to know how to solve these two problems, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,357 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Junshi

Hello 🙂 !Have you Installed the NI RIO Drivers? If not download and install the drivers (R series not Flex Rio) and try again.

cheers 🙂

Message 2 of 6
(3,326 Views)

Hi CrazyEce91

Thank you so much for the information.

I haven't installed the NI RIO Drivers, I would try to do it, but can you explain why do I need to do it? 

//Junshi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,323 Views)

Well it's because the 2953R is a RIO (Reconfigurable Input/Output) device not just plane  usrp device. In order to work properly with labview need the NI RIO drivers installed on your system. Be careful though to download the proper drivers. You will get two choices, either download the Flex RIO drivers or the R series. The USRP RIOs are compatible only with the R series.

cheers

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,319 Views)

Hi 

Thanks a lot for the explanation, and it does work 🙂

//Junshi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,312 Views)

No thanks needed, just give me a kudo and mark my post as a solution ^_^

0 Kudos