cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP 2952R communication failure after loading image

Solved!
Go to solution

Background

I recently started working with the NI-2952R (X310) and I'm trying to communicate with it over the 1 GB NIC on a Linux server.  I'm very familiar with the USRP N-210 and I'm looking to use it in a similar fashion.

Problem

My host is using UHD 003.007.001 so when I first performed a uhd_usrp_probe, I got the standard mismatch message shown below so I reimaged with the X310 bit file retrieved from uhd_images_downloader.  The bit file used was usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.bit.

Error: RuntimeError: Expected firmware compatibility number 0x3, but got 0x4.0

After loading the new image, I was receiving x300 fw communication errors as follows:

[user@host ~]$ /usr/bin/uhd_usrp_probe --args addr=192.168.10.2
linux; GNU C++ version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4); Boost_104100; UHD_003.007.001-0-unknown

UHD Error:
    x300 fw communication failure #1
    EnvironmentError: IOError: x300 fw poke32 - reply timed out

UHD Error:
    x300 fw communication failure #1
    EnvironmentError: IOError: x300 fw peek32 - reply timed out

After troubleshooting this issue for a couple hours, I believe I have bricked my device and I'm in the process of using the JTAG interface to reimage the device. 

Question

What is the correct image to load for the 003.007.001 UHD driver and how resolved the communication failures?  My server using a Broadcom NIC and I've seen another post suggesting that users were having issues with Realtek NICs. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,839 Views)

If you're using UHD rather than the NI USRP driver, I would recomend contacting Ettus support instead. This forum is almost entirely LabVIEW/niUSRP users. 

Wahoowa.

Message 2 of 3
(4,831 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 01wahoo

As a follow up, my device was indeed bricked by a corrupted load.  I originally loaded (and later recovered) my device with the command below.

[user@host ~]$ sudo /usr/bin/usrp_x3xx_fpga_burner --addr 192.168.10.2 --fpga-path /usr/share/uhd/images/usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.bit

I was able to recover my device via JTAG with the same bit file and persisted my image with the same command above. 

Go Hoos.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,824 Views)