From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP 2921 phase drift at high Tx gain

Dear NI RF experts :-),

I am transmitting a QPSK signal on one USRP 2921 and receiving it on another USRP 2921 at 2.4 GHz. The two USRPs use the same reference signals, and hence, there is no frequency offset between them.

There seems to be a phase drift in long symbols. Therefore, the phenomenon is worse in low signalling rate. It is much better at low transmit gain.

Please find attached a snapshot of the received signal (I and Q) and the demodulated symbols demonstrating this phase drift. This was captured when the transmit gain was 30 dB. 

Could you shed some light on this? Is this related to amplifier saturation or possibly to Tx signal processing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,562 Views)

Are you using a MIMO cable, or are you using external 10 MHz and PPS signals into the SMA connectors? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,530 Views)

Hi,

I have used both setups (MIMO cable and external signals), and the phase drift occurs in both. 

It almost looks like a capacitance affect that settles after about 100 samples at an IQ rate of 25 MHz. (see attached)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,523 Views)