USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USRP 2921 with Ettus GPSDO Kit

I have connected the "Ettus GPSDO Kit for USRP N200" * with a NI USRP 2921. I have the 1.2 NI USRP driver installed.

In LabVIEW, the "Has GPS disciplines clock?" property is returning false. Are these two devices compatible? And if yes, can LabVIEW's USRP driver gps functions work with this combination?

Many thanks

* FireFly-1A Jackson Labs Tech

PNL 100100-6V FW:0.922 BOM:1.7

SN: 0320112739

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,886 Views)

Hey hkhalili,

When using the Jackson Labs GPSDO in an N series device, you need to update a key in the EEPROM using the usrp_burn_mb_eeprom util for the driver to be able to communicate with it.  This util ships with the driver and can be found by going to Start » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-USRP » utilities

Full instructions can be found here:

http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/gpsdo.html

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Message 2 of 8
(6,885 Views)

I now get this error: niUSRP Wait For Lock.vi<ERR>A runtime or configuration error occurred.
Code: 2410
Details: LookupError: Path not found in tree: /mboards/0/sensors/gps_locked

Is there a way to get around this?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,871 Views)

Hi hkhalili, 

I hear this is still presenting a problem for you, if possible it would be useful if we could see what you are doing to get this error. 

If you could upload your code, myself and other members of the community might be able to diagnose the problem. 

Kind regards,

Matt H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,579 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the initiative.

Please note that I have fitted the GPSDO to a USRP2921.

Many thanks,

Hassan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,570 Views)

Hey Hassan,

The code that you are using should not cause any issues once the GPSDO is installed properly and the EEPROM has been updated.  Can you please run uhd_usrp_probe.exe from the command prompt and post the output?  The utility is in the same folder I mentioned in my above post.  Please also refer to this installation guide to make sure that you have correctly installed the cables for your device:

http://www.ettus.com/content/files/gpsdo-kit_2.pdf

Finally, please confirm that you have manually updated the motherboard EEPROM and power cycled your device.  You can update the EEPROM by running the following (in the app note I linked in my last post):

usrp_burn_mb_eeprom --key=gpsdo --val=internal

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,562 Views)

As suggested above:  I recommend 1. verifying the jumper has been moved inside the box, 2.ensuring the eeprom setting has been updated, and then 3. selecting 'external' as your clock course and frequency reference in the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,556 Views)

Hello again,

I have checked all the above.

Here's the output of the utility app.

I don't see "external" but I've set the references to Ref in and GPS, and I see the error  within 4-5s.

I'm not sure if I have a strong GPS signal. Could that cause the error?

Thanks,

Hassan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,552 Views)