USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implement a B200 or B210 as an arbitrary waveform generator

Hello,

I am using a B200 USRP to periodically transmit a short (5,000-sample IQ sequence, 16 bits/rail) signal, currently by using UHD commands to continuously stream the signal to the B200 from a host computer.  I am interested in instead implementing an "AWG" mode inside the B200, by burning the sequence into the B200's FPGA once, and then internally cycling through that sequence.  Does anyone know if this capability exists for this class of USRP, or if third-party or add-on packages are out there to modify the USRP's FPGA to add this capability?  Also, is this capability even possible for a sequence of this length, and what are the break points where it would or would not be possible?

Note, for my current application, I do not perform any interpolation or frequency shifting of the signal, so could if necessary overwrite those operations to make this happen.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,055 Views)

OK, so no response to my question after ~ 1 week.  I am suspecting this capability does not currently exist.

So, second question: is stand-alone AWG capability of interest to anyone else in the NI community?

Advantages to doing this: greatly reduces loading of ancillary connections to the USRP; eliminates the need/cost to attach a NUC or equivalent to the USRP to perform same; potentially eliminates known (experienced) timing errors due to mapping of AWG waveforms to USB packets, and subsequent mapping of USB packets to the USRP's input feed.

If interest, let me know.  I am considering developing this capability for my own purposes, it would be helpful to understand if there is third-party interest in this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,016 Views)