From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Configuring Network Settings on USRP-2920

I think my project partner posted this on the wrong forum (http://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-NI/Help-Configuring-Network-Settings-on-USRP-2920...), so I am reposting here:

Hello,

We are working on a university senior design project and need help setting network settings on the NI USRP-2920. Currently we can change the Static IP in the NI-USRP Configuration Utility.

We need to need to set the

• static ip
  • default gateway
  • subnet mask
  • dns

We found similar functionality for "USRP2 and N2X0" series USRP's here: https://github.com/EttusResearch/UHD-Mirror/blob/master/host/docs/usrp2.rst#set-the-subnet-and-gatew...

But the syntax isn't the same as for the USRP-2920; please advise.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,291 Views)
Check the getting started guide for quick setup instructions.

http://www.ni.com/usrp/gettingstarted/

Let us know if you have trouble. It should take less than 5 minutes.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,289 Views)

Hi ErikL,

I am not looking to set a static IP on my computer -- I am looking to set static IP/Network Mask/Gateway/DNS on the USRP.

Basically we have a virtual machine environment we're building with vSphere; long story short, we need to have static IP's set on the USRP's themselves from a University-allocated /28 subnet pool. Setting static IP's on dynamically allocated nodes in a vSphere enviroment isn't an option.

I don't have any problem connecting to the USRP by setting static network information on my ethernet adapter. Is that a bit more clear with what the end objective is?

Thanks!

Edit: To further clarify -- if you look at my first post I have a github link. In there it talks about sending commands via some python scripts to the USRP to set configuration information. I can send some commands to the 2920 but the commands listed for setting network information don't seem to exist in the python eeprom file I have.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,286 Views)
USRP only supports static IP. You can change the static ip in the windows based usrp config utility.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,275 Views)

So you can set a static IP outside the default subnet and gateway on the USRP? That makes zero sense from a networking perspective.

The link I posted to github in my original post implies that it is certainly possible on some USRP models; I don't see why it wouldn't be the same on the 2920.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,269 Views)
The USRP uses UDP. Placing it on a public network significantly reduces reliability. Unlike TCP, there is no packet lost-resend request. You just get an error that a packet was lost and streaming stops.

You may be able to change the values using an EEPROM write in UHD however if the device drops off the network and does not come back, or there is an error in the IP address it may not be user recoverable.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,263 Views)

You can use the UHD firmware utilitiy from this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-USRP\utilities

and then enter the command line:

C:\...\utilities> usrp_burn_mb_eeprom --key=ip-addr --val=192.168.10.xxx

Other commands should follow the same format but I have not personally tested them:

Set the subnet and gateway

To use an alternative streaming destination, the device needs to be able to determine if the destination address is within its subnet, and ARP appropriately. Therefore, the user should ensure that subnet and gateway addresses have been programmed into the device's EEPROM.

> usrp_burn_mb_eeprom  --key=subnet --val=255.255.255.0
> usrp_burn_mb_eeprom  --key=gateway --val=192.168.10.1

Message 7 of 7
(7,255 Views)