cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Multiple USRP to one PC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi. 

I would like to connect multiple USRP to one host (PC) through the Ethernet switch.

Does anybody know how many USRP can be connected to a PC through Ethernet normally.? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,350 Views)

Hello Amir2!

Which NI USRP are us using?

The reason I ask is because this information can be hound in the Getting Started Guide for your USRP!  I have provided a link to how to configure your USRP 292X device through Ethernet below.  There is also a section specifically on using an Ethernet Switch with one device.  This process should be true for all NI USRPs.

Configuring NI USRP 292X Devices

I hope this information is helpful!

Cheers!

Casey L.

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,314 Views)

Thank you for the reply.

I have two types of USRPs. 2943-R and N210.

I want to just to know at most how many USRPs a host can handle at the same time?

Can we control each USRP connected to a host individually? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,297 Views)

Hello Amir2!

These are great questions!  I am looking to see if we have a limit of devices you can connect, but I believe that would depend on your Ethernet switch and the throughput you are expecting.

As for controlling the two USRPs, what programming language are you hoping to use? If you plan to use LabVIEW, you will need our NI USRP Driver, which you can find here.  If you plan on using C or C#, I would recommend GNU Radio or UHD.

Best,

Casey L

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,288 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Labview and I have NI USRP drivers and everything is set up. 

My question is that: Is it possible to run several VIs (Let's say we have eight USRPs and 8 VIs opened in Labview) in one host separately such that each VI controls individual USRP? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,284 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amir2

Will you be running the same program on all eight USRPs?  Or will each of them be running a different program?

To directly answer your question, yes, you could run 8 different VIs for 8 different USRPs.  However, it would greatly depend on the processing power of your computer and the complexity of the application you are running on these 8 different USRPs connected to one computer.  Again, you will have to consider the throughout you are looking to reach in your application as well, because acquiring data on 8 USRPs is a lot for a computer to handle.

Hope this helps!

Casey L.

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,275 Views)

Thank you for your reply. 

Actually the VIs are running different program. 

I got my answers from your explanation and I see your points. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,260 Views)

is it possible to use C or C# to program the USRPs 

5G Researcher
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,087 Views)

Hello @RamyElamrawy,

NI-USRP does not natively support C or C#, but please see the other forum post for how you might be able to program the USRP using these languages.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,065 Views)