From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate BER between two USRP RIOs

I'm PhD Student I have not much experience about USRPs. I'm new at this research area.

We have two USRP 2943R. We have NI Labview 2014 , including Modulation Toolkit,USRP intrument drivers.

We  tried NI Labview 2014 niUSRP- Labview Modulation Toolkit Examples. We used two USRP, one of them transmitter another is receiver. We understood niUSRP EX PSK Tx.vi and   niUSRP EX PSK Rx.vi examples. We runned this Vis simultaneously. But I wonder that how could we calculate bit error rate while , two simultaneous vi are runnig.

I know that MT Calculate BER .vi function block, where we should  connect this block on  niUSRP EX PSK Rx.vi . Should we have to synchronize to USRP R for calculate correct BER. Is it possible? We cannot find examples about USRP that calculate BER.

Could you help us please?

Best Regards..
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,402 Views)

Hi,

You may find this example on DPSK helpful as it calculates BER in a fashion that you might be looking for: http://www.ni.com/example/30126/en/

As well, you can look up some more information on usage of the Modulation Toolkit's BER VIs with this help page (even though its targeted for LabVIEW Comms, it has a similar implementation in regular LabVIEW): http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview-comms/1.0/mt-node-ref/mt-calculate-ber/

Regards,

John Gentile

Applications Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,356 Views)

Thanks for your reply

These examples are concerned about simulation.  Where do I find BER  Examples that use USRPs

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,323 Views)

As an aside, there are multiple forum threads and posts about this same question and unfortunately the answer is that right now there is no explicit example that just calculates BER. BER and its calculation is very dependent on your modulation and demodulation scheme, so I would suggest you explore how you would calculate BER mathematically given your specific scheme and then work with Modulation Toolkit to implement this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,297 Views)

hey friend, did you find out the way to do ber?  I got the same question as you do. just use basic bpsk, then I want to see the ber. thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,812 Views)

Unfurtunately,I did not implement ber on real time rios

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,802 Views)

hey, friend. Check this link. It seems that this guy did the ber right, but he want to do something more, and he failed.  please let me know what you think? because I am working on ber as well.  thank you. 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/USRP-Software-Radio/Direct-sequence-spread-spectrum/m-p/3285766

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,796 Views)

My friend, I also post something about the ber problem. if you have any updates, please give me a reply here.  thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,792 Views)