This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

Learning UML: Recommended Resources

A list of training resources for LabVIEW users learning UML. Please add more if you have them!

Books

Web Resources

Message 1 of 7
(6,183 Views)
6 REPLIES

Re: Learning UML: Recommended Resources

I am looking for some good UML training resources, specifically books. Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,798 Views)

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/769.html

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,798 Views)

I bought this book http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596009823.do.

If you've never worked with UML before, this is a good place to start.

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,798 Views)

i got the same book. it does a good job of getting you introduced into UML, but since LabVIEW only lightly supports OOP, a majority of the featrues and examples don't apply to us

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,798 Views)

what sort of things does it show that don't apply? I would have thought that the majority of principles still apply (although we would encourage by value implementations over by reference in LabVIEW)

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are atdevs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,798 Views)

Yes, the principles do apply.  Some items do vary between development environments (e.g., the possible values of attribute or method scopes, how one creates abstract classes and interfaces).  I do have the O'Reilly book under discussion and I have found it to be my favorite of the intro to UML books I have read.  Of course, these books are just introductions to the the UML itself.  Learning how to use a particular UML tool or how to use the UML effectively in design projects requires additional knowledge and experience.  Nonetheless, I think the O'Reilly book is a great place to start.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,798 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.