UKTAG – UK Test Automation Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UKTAG Meeting 6

Hello All,

This meeting was held on the 19th of Feb 2021. Video playlist is available here.

Agenda:

Time

Topic

Abstract

Presented by

BST: 13:00 – 13:10

Welcome and Introduction

BST: 13:15 – 13:55

What's new in TestStand 2020 Presentation | Video TestStand 2020 features a myriad of user interface enhancements, regular expression string test and plenty of python support improvements. TestStand R&D will present the new features in their brand new offering. TestStand R&D - NI 

BST: 14.00 – 14:40

LabVIEW Solution Builder Tool by NI to Cascade LabVIEW builds & PPLs

Presentation | Video

NI R&D would like to introduce an open-source tool for "cascading LabVIEW builds" using LabVIEW and Application Builder. This tool aims to help LabVIEW-based solutions or applications that sit on top of several Libraries, which in turn build to Packed Project Libraries. This tool calculates the correct dependency order for each build and makes the replacements in memory. LabVIEW developers face this challenge when trying to organize their code into to componentized binaries. More details and the tool can be found here: https://github.com/jovianarts/LVSolutionBuilder

NI R&D

BST: 14:40 – 14:55

Break

BST: 15:00 – 15:40

Ground-up tutorial of how to create packages for use with NI Package Manager

Presentation | Video

This presentation will provide a walkthrough on how to create .nipkg files. It explores a couple of the different uses of the files including creating the packages with several methods, and creating and using feeds, and other tricks.

Michael Bilyk

BST: 15:45 – 16:25

Caring for the [LabVIEW] Environment

Presentation | Video

Software development environments (SDEs) are designed to make the software development process as straightforward as possible. However, a one size fits all approach won’t allow you or your team to be as productive as they could be. In this presentation, we’ll go through several ways to customise the LabVIEW environment to enhance productivity, by leveraging the plug-in nature of the LabVIEW SDE

Tom McQuillan (CLA, CTA, CLED, CPI) – Scientifica

BST: 16:30 – 17:00

Introduction to Averna Deploy

Presentation | Video

Averna Deploy is a reliable test package manager which can be use to automatically deploy your most recent test code on all test stations and assets throughout your factories.

With Averna Deploy you will:

• Save time by automatically deploying the right code on the right test stations and assets with one tool
  • Always keep your code up to date
  • Adds traceability to the deployed code with automatic logging of all activities. All of that with just couple clicks – it’s pretty easy!.

Michal Bienkowski, (CLA, CTA) Averna Technologies

CLA CTAChampionI'm attending the GLA Summit!
Subscribe to the Test Automation user group: UK Test Automation Group
Message 1 of 11
(4,908 Views)

Could we have a discussion about Package Manager/ Builder.

I am currently trying to get my head around a proper usage especially given the (to me linited) functionality of the Package Builder and it's interfaces in LabVIEW & TestStand vs (to me ) enhanced functionality of the Package Manager CLI.

Furthermore: my perception is that installation via Package Manager is the way to go in the future. Taking a look at the poorly moderated Package Manager Forum with limited feedback from NI does not support this impression.

Message 2 of 11
(4,733 Views)

Excellent topic.

Sam did a presentation at the last User Group:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEEZNUc2EZc and also at NI Week 2017??. These are somewhat TestStand focused.

Please list your pain points and questions so we can build a good list before the event. We can ask Sam if he would be willing to lead this. I will also contact NI once we have the list ready. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,723 Views)

@Oli_Wachno wrote:

Furthermore: my perception is that installation via Package Manager is the way to go in the future. Taking a look at the poorly moderated Package Manager Forum with limited feedback from NI does not support this impression.

According to the documentation your perception is right.

2021-01-11 17_29_12-Window.png

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052AA-01/tsdeploysystem/infotopics/tsduconcepts/

BTW Have you seen this: https://github.com/mbilyk/NIPM-Tutorial ?

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
Message 4 of 11
(4,712 Views)

[...]

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052AA-01/tsdeploysystem/infotopics/tsduconcepts/

Hi Michal,

thanks for pointing this out! I shall have a look asap 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,696 Views)

After having checked Michaels' tutorial (everyone interested in the topic should definitely check this one out) and checking the NI documentation,

Edit: sorry, I have mixed up name in the original post!

I still have some open questions:

- What is the use case for relative packages?

- When will the Package Builder/ the LabVIEW Build Script support symbolic paths like the Manager CLI does?

- When will it be possible to no longer need a package for each LabVIEW version, the package needs to be installed for (thinking of toolkits and add-ons)

- As read in another forum, the packet manager uses unsecured connections when transferring packets. Are there any plans to configure this to secured ones?

- Is anybody already using packet management via Packet Manager on a larger scale without SystemLink?

[Edit]: is there a way to install into directories on a different local drive? (see also)

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,656 Views)

Hey,

I wrote that tutorial and I have a few notes:
1. I haven't really reviewed and updated it recently so it may have some inaccurate information.

2. There are some finicky things when it comes to automating NIPM that aren't really covered in the tutorial.

That being said, it will get you about 80% of the way to using NIPM in a CI/CD pipeline.

I can't really answer any of the questions, unfortunately.

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,643 Views)

I have to admit that this meetings topics are already great (I'm really pleased that NI R&D will present). I can't wait! 😀

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
Message 8 of 11
(4,530 Views)

@bienieck wrote:

I have to admit that this meetings topics are already great (I'm really pleased that NI R&D will present). I can't wait! 😀

Me too. Agenda complete! 😀

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,450 Views)

@bienieck wrote:

@Oli_Wachno wrote:

According to the documentation your perception is right.

2021-01-11 17_29_12-Window.png

I just realized that the abovementioned note is not in the latest documentation. I don't know how it should be interpreted.

EDIT:

I was wrong. I was looking in the wrong place. The note is still there but in a different format.

BTW: Did you switch to NIPB already?

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,639 Views)