From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Extensible, Object-Oriented Alternative to XControls

@hooovahh,

Can I add your slider to the community shared list?

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 58
(3,846 Views)

Of course.  Have you thought about packaging up QControls in a package?  I created one just as a test and it worked out fine.  On the front panel you can drop any Facade you've created, but I've also got a template with a VI that has some block diagram objects as a template which drop nicely.  Then on the block diagram functions palette you can have the New, Close, and any public functions or property nodes which are VIs who's contents are placed there, and any demos.

Message 32 of 58
(3,843 Views)

The main toolkit does place items in the palettes for the QControls that ship with it but I have not made packages for other QControls that I have made. I’m sure it would be helpful if I did though. I just haven’t had the time.

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 58
(3,837 Views)

Thanks! I added it to the list.

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 58
(3,834 Views)

Alright I have another one for you.  Lets say I want a QControl that works with a Listbox, a Multicolumn Listbox, a Table, or a Tree.  How would you handle that?  I realize you could inherit from the Control class, and then just error if the input wasn't one of those but is there a better way?  I was thinking about making a QControl for each of those control types, and then use a polymorphic VI, which would select the Create, and Close functions.  It seems like a lot of work but I like that method better.  Any other suggestions on how to handle that?

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 58
(3,823 Views)

I copied your questions and answered them in the QControl Enthusiasts page, here.

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 58
(3,813 Views)

Hi Q,

how do you want bugs in the toolkit to be reported?

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 58
(3,400 Views)

hunkel,

I'm in the process of making the repo public and then it will have an issue tracker.  However, in the interim, some users have reported bugs to me on the QControl Enthusiasts page here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/QControl-Enthusiasts/gp-p/5383

Check to see if its up there already.  I am in the process of fixing a few things.

Thank you for your interest!

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 58
(3,393 Views)

First thank you for creating this toolkit. I am getting familiar with it now and working to create some reusable custom controls for projects that I am working on.

I sent an email to the QSI support but thought I would post it here as well.

I am utilizing Actor Framework and I am leaving the event handling to the custom control event handler. 

With that being said, if I want an event to fire a message to the actor, is it as simple as adding the actor Q object to the class data of the Q custom control? I added it on the New vi, and I am relying on the Stop Core of the actor to call the close custom control VI. 

Have I missed anything, or is there a better way to do it? I see in the user guide it mentions adding an event loop to the main VI that the control resides on so that the startup and shutdown of the control can be implemented. This shouldnt be necessary if using actors, you should be able to rely on the framework and strategically place the new and close VIs?

Thanks!

Steven R. Howell

Appreciate constructive criticism, it is there to help you succeed.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 58
(3,155 Views)

Steven,

I'm glad the QControl Toolkit has been useful for you.  I saw your email.  I attempted to answer your questions in the post here on the QControl Enthusiasts page so that others can see it too.

Hopefully this helps!

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 58
(3,147 Views)