Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sliding Containers in LabVIEW

SimonH
NI Employee (retired)

I was answering an email from one of our systems engineers this week and dug up this old demo to show him how you could quite easily implement sliding panels in LabVIEW.  While I've shown a similar technique before I realized I've never shared this particular demo.

What's cool about this demo is that you can have multiple panels sliding at the same time and the animations can be interupted mid-animation.  Here's a video of it in action:

You can download the attached to code to see how I did it (LabVIEW 8.6 source IIRC).  I haven't documented the code much and it's been a while since I last looked at it so please excuse any less-than-perfect coding style you see in there.  If you have any questions, leave them in the comments and I'll try and answer them.

Comments
TroyK
Active Participant

VERY NICE! I love it.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Active Participant

Wow, that is slick. You need to root through your other piles of old demos and dig up anything else you've been hiding from us.

Cube404

Awesome UI, appreciate for sharing

D60
Active Participant
Active Participant

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

---
+++ In God we believe, in Trance we Trust +++
[Hungary]
AmitKaria2k

Excellent demo.. Thanks for sharing

Fred_A

Very nice UI and architecture (classes, array of : queues, controls Rfns)..

Can you explain me why is there a transparent decoration (in green for my question) on the left corner of the tab, and why is there 2 pages on tab control (further option where nothing is visible ?) ? Slider Tab_2.png

Thanks for sharing

Best regards..

SimonH
NI Employee (retired)

Fred,

There is no functional reason for either of the peculiarities you've noted -- the demo will work fine if you remove them. 

Tab controls drop with two pages and I probably just made them transparent right off the bat and forgot to remove the extra page. 

The transparent decoration is so that I can use the "Size to Fit" autosizing option on my clusters and still add a little extra padding.

Regards,

Simon

Yogesh_Redemptor

Modular Design and Very good demo...

Thank you for sharing

Regards,

Yogesh R

Regards,
Yogesh Redemptor
MikaelH

One thing I always do when opening VI refs to class members (i.e. Action Queue Consumer.vi), I don't use the VI path but instead just the name(SlideEngine.lvclass:Action Queue Consumer.vi). Since all class VIs, becomes loaded as soon as you refer to anthing of that class.

Darren1985

Excellent demo looks well.

cirrusio
Active Participant

Looks like I am slow to jump on the wagon here, Simon, but very nice job.  Can you tell me why you chose to move the tabs as you did?  I had some odd behavior and I couldn't figure out why the tabs behaved the way they did - essentially, on the first mouse enter event, the tabs jumped off the screen (they moved to the left the width of the tab, if I am not mistaken).  After this they behaved normally.  Why not use the width and initial position to move the tabs? i.e.  move by amount x until new position is old position +width

moxix2

can't wait to express my fondness of this gorgeous vi, really enlightening. thanks for sharing.

dsavir
Active Participant

Amazing! Thank you for sharing

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
dsavir
Active Participant

Hi,

Is there a way to prevent the tabs from sliding back when a shortcut menu is activated? Activating the shortcut menu fires a mouse leave event.

Thanks!

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett