UI Interest Group Blog

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Loading Animation (remake of the VS 2012 Installer Screen)

PelleS
Active Participant

Hi guys,

When I installed Visual Studio 2012 Express I noticed their nice loading animation in the bottom. See image below (found on web):

image1.PNG

After a couple of hours, I'm sort of satisfied.

MyScreenShot.png

Just run the file called Loader Example.vi in the attached folder.

If you want to resize the cluster that contains all the moving objects, that should work just fine. And if you want to add more objects than 5 that should also work fine as long as you tweak the "slow speed area" (see code) setting. I imagine if you spend some more time, you can even make nice patterns in the y-direction.

Have fun and please post your improvements,

Pelle

Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
Download All
Comments
Manohar_Reddy

Fantastic.

Ravi_Beniwal

Very nice!

iltara

Great job!

Schnegg

Nice!! 😉

NJKirchner
Active Participant

Since you have the desired position logic figured out, you might just want to do this with a picture control.

I think that you will find that making things more scalable and also adding features for something visual like this will work much better.

MikaelH

My first thought was that it was done with a picture control of course, but I was impressed that you used a cluster, I would never have thought about that.

But as Norm said, a picture control gives you more freedom, but you need to code a bit more

PelleS
Active Participant

Thanks for all the feedback!

I agree that the picture control/static array is what I would use in the end (probably for CPU reasons). But for the sake of prototyping and determining the size and the number of objects you want to have, I imagine you save time by playing around with a flexible solution like this.

Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
ThiCop
Trusted Enthusiast

Nice

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
MikaelH

Something else I do like about the VS2012 installer window, is that you can click and drag anywhere in the widnow to move it, not just in title bar.

Staab_Engineering

NJKirchner used to have a "brat VI" that adds this feature to any single-pane VI. You might poke him to see if he'll share it.

Also, isn't that a requirement for all Win 8 apps now? Or is it just a "metro" feature that lots of developers are adding in?

MikaelH

I just tried it and it took less then 5 minutes to do a VI like this. BTW it looks like I can't upload a VI, straight into the comments can I?

DragWindow.png

Active Participant

Nope. Best to post it as its own document anyway. Then you can version it if bugs are found and entertain comments and feedback on it in a separate thread. That'll also let people bookmark it directly for future reference.

SwapsG

Great....!

KrisnaWisnu

what a nice example!

Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
Certified TestStand Developer (CTD)
Using LabVIEW 8.5.1 (2008) to LabVIEW 2021
venkat1

Excellent

DanishAhmad

Nice

Neurochasm666

Great!!!

AlphaKane

Excellent!

I took the liberty to put it together with MikaelH code snipet.

And now is a nice looking loading screen, with moving pane

Thanks for sharing!

J.C._Andersen

It is cool, and I am already having fun with it .

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
Rojas.Leonel

Excellent!

CJW1800

This is neat! I've always liked those loading dots on the VS installer.