From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Troubleshooting Hardware

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unrecoverable error on roboRIO - safe mode failed

Solved!
Go to solution

please send instructions for the USB reformat option

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,630 Views)

Hi Mentor 3245,

Just to confirm - you've already tried running the imager with admin privileges?

(Because the USB either works or leaves the rio in state where our only option is to RMA it, we try to only use it as a last resort).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,626 Views)

I will have my team go through the steps one more time to be sure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,611 Views)

Following up - any progress?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,590 Views)

Tried again today.

We logged onto imaging tool with admin.

status light is amber solid for a few seconds and then blinking amber. Tends to go back and forth over every 5-10 seconds.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,565 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mentor3245

I've sent you a private message with details on how to use the USB reset method.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,560 Views)

Hello! I'm experiencing the same issue and have tried the solutions above. Would you please send me the steps to factory reset the roborio?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,395 Views)

@Caro6413, first question - do you have a roboRIO 1, or the roboRIO 2?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,360 Views)

We are having a similar issue.  We have a roboRIO 2.0 that the imaging failed.  We tried safe mode for recovery and we are getting

Error -2147220352

when imaging under safe mode.

I have tried reimaging the data card from a PC using balenaEtcher.  The card was successfully reimaged but the imaging process still fails.  Either in regular or safe mode.

I have read that there might be a recovery method that causes a factory reset.  I am willing to try that or to RMA the unit as needed.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,268 Views)

@mlinkdkov, Thank you for posting.
The step documented here (https://docs.wpilib.org/en/stable/docs/software/roborio-info/roborio2-imaging.html), for the roboRIO 2, show that once the SD card is imaged, the imaging tool is only used to set the team number (as the image is already applied). Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,265 Views)