From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Troubleshooting Hardware

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rookie Team RoboRio 2.0 will not Image

We are a rookie team and we can not image our rio at all. We even tired to get help from a veteran team and they could not get it to image either but when hey did the same steps with one of their new Rios it worked perfectly. 

We just need to know what to do to get a Rio in our hands that will image correctly. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,150 Views)

Hello wacotaco6,

Thanks for using the NI forums. Please use the roboRIO 2.0 microSD Card Imaging  and let us know your results. From your post it sounds like you are trying to reimage the roboRIO 2.0 from the Imaging Tool, hence my suggestion of trying to format the SD card directly.

More information: FRC Firmware Update Failing 

Let us know your results,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,131 Views)

I'm in the same boat. I have a new RoboRio 2.0.

I've tried re-imaging with the pi-imager on a windows computer and dd the image from a Linux computer. I tried it on 2 different sd cards. I've swapped USB cables, turned off firewalls and antivirus, used 2 different windows 10 computers, used different power supplies, tried installing while connected and not connected to a network, tried being on different networks, tried installing the non FRC version and the FRC version for both the RoboRio 1 and 2 models. I've tried it in safemode and not. I uninstalled Labview and reinstalled on one computer. Now it has a new Roborio setup app that doesn't match the directions, the old app is listed but it won't open. I updated Labview on the other computer and both the new and old apps run but neither can flash or really see the rio.

1 time I was able to change the start perimeters but the image came up as corrupted after that. We're lost.

I've probably sunk 20 hours into this. I think I could write my own Linux kernel with less effort and frustration.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,107 Views)

Thanks for listing what you have already tried, George8704, I'm sorry it has taken so much time and effort on your side.

I notice you write in a topic where we discussed issues reimaging the roboRIO 2.0, and see that you have both the 1.0 and 2.0 versions. Is it correct to assume the problem you have is currently with the roboRIO 2.0? (i.e. the roboRIO 1.0 device (s) you have are working properly and running your code)

You mention you are using the pi-imager on a windows computer and dd the image from a Linux computer. Let's focus on Windows first and see the different behaviors you get as you go through the steps. 

1. First, after you image the original SD card and put it back in the roboRIO, what do you see in its STATUS light? Is it blinking? If so, how many times?
  2. If the STATUS light is not blinking, let's connect it to the computer and check if you can see it in the Imaging Tool. If it does not show up there, let's try these (especially firewall checking): Unable to Connect to roboRIO in Driver Station, Imaging Tool or LabVIEW 
  3. If you do see the roboRIO and it gives you an error when trying to change the team number, please provide the message you get.

Other topics I have seen that may be relevant to you and may be worth a try:

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,096 Views)

I only have a roboRio 2.0. I tried the code for both 1.0 and 2.0 out of desperation.

Fire wall is off, Labview is being run as admin.

No status light at all.

Power light is green.

ping 172.22.11.2: times out, 100% loss

The roboRio installation utility won't run on the computer I have in front of me now for some reason (it worked before but then I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and now it doesn't, not sure why)

The new NI Launcher has an app called RIO Device Setup. It typically can't see my Rio and if it can it lists it as roboRIO-0000-FRC and it says it can't connect to the RIO.

I can't find the Driver's station on this computer now. I think something may have gone wrong when I reinstalled labview yesterday. This problem is much older than that though, the driver station was working earlier.  I'll update this when I try on the other computer tonight.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,091 Views)

Thanks for the additional information, George8704,

Some comments:

I only have a roboRio 2.0. I tried the code for both 1.0 and 2.0 out of desperation.

Thanks for the clarification!

Fire wall is off, Labview is being run as admin.

Excellent, thank you.

No status light at all.

That's good news. A turned off STATUS indicated the roboRIO is operating normally, so I presume the problem is not imaging the device with the SD card, rather connecting to it after it is imaged.

Power light is green.

Excellent, this means the roboRIO is receiving power correctly.

ping 172.22.11.2: times out, 100% loss

This IP address will work only when connected by USB to the roboRIO, are you using this setup?

If we have a chance, let's give the imaging tool (you can also find it here C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2020\project\roboRIO Tool) another try and please record the error you get (if any) when trying to update the team number using these steps: Setting the roboRIO Team Number . If you do run into trouble, please share with us your Operating System version, how you are connected to the roboRIO, and the error message.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,083 Views)

I got it to work. I dd'ed a clean image onto my SD card and ran everything again just to answer your questions and low and behold it worked!

I'm embarrassed to write this next bit because I assume the trouble I had was all my fault. I don't really recall the wiring that was used to initially re-image the RIO but it is possible that I just alligator clipped wires together. Terrible, I know, and I know better. For most of the trials I had a switch wired in but when it didn't work I was using it on different computers in different places, etc. I was lax many times.

I'm fairly positive I corrupted the image by failing to power the RIO cleanly using a switch. ugh.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,072 Views)