From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Troubleshooting Hardware

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoboRio constantly drops coms

Solved!
Go to solution

We have a RoboRio 1 that seemed to function fine for two competitions. We added a camera using the I2C port and soon after it would lose Coms. 

We removed the camera and corresponding code but continue to have the same dropped Coms issue. Restarting the RoboRio would “fix” things for a few minutes then we started to get memory full errors. 

We reflashed the device and this got things working for 20 minutes or so. Once we started to have dropped Coms issues we also noticed our autonomous code would seem to skip steps. Restarting the RoboRio would correct this for 10-15 minutes and the back to random actions.

We noticed thus issue in 2020 as well but time limitations made it necessary purchase a replacement.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,280 Views)

Thanks for posting.

If you view the driver station logs, does the memory gradually grow? (https://docs.wpilib.org/en/stable/docs/software/driverstation/driver-station-log-viewer.html)

What programming language are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,255 Views)

We use Java, and when we get the out of memory error there is nothing gradual about it. We turned in the robot and then tried to upload the code.

The only thing that changed between when it worked and now is we tested code for a Pixycam attached using I2C. 

We have not tested that code on a different RoboRio to see if we get similar results.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,247 Views)

Is the camera still connected?

Do you still have code for for it?

If you boot the rio into safe mode, are you able to image the rio and have it stay on long enough to deploy code? (https://docs.wpilib.org/en/stable/docs/software/roborio-info/recovering-a-roborio-using-safe-mode.ht...)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,237 Views)

We no longer have anything connected to it, it was removed and replaced on our Competition bot as it will not sustain a communications connection for more than a few minutes.

We were finally able to get code loaded onto it on the test bench, it stayed connected for a couple minutes and then lost comms again. At this point since NI has no interest in doing anything about it, we will likely toss it out as we have no use for a RoboRio that cannot maintain communications.

The last attempt to get things running we removed the Pixy cam and all the code. We finally got it to reimage and then wrote some simple code to loot at line break sensors to test them for margin of error purposes. About 3 minutes after starting the code we lost comms again. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,234 Views)

NI is interested in supporting your success. I'm trying to verify if it is an odd hardware issue warranting an RMA, or an issue with software that will persist even if you got a new one.

When you say "it was removed and replaced on our Competition bot as it will not sustain a communications connection for more than a few minutes." do you mean that another rio is running with the same software without issue?

> "... got it to reimage and then wrote some simple code to loot at line break sensors to test them for margin of error purposes. About 3 minutes after starting the code we lost comms again."

Does this issue persist in safe mode? (when no code is running)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,231 Views)

Yes, We replaced the problematic RIO with a spare one we took off of a previous robot. No change to the code, simply updated the RIO to this years firmware and uploaded our current code. This one does not have the same issues as the one we took off.

As for whether or not the issue persist in safe mode, I am not sure as we only ran it long enough to test range of a line break sensor and then it lost Comms again so we turned it off and put it in on a shelf with our recycle electronics to dispose of at the end of the season. 

We will be in the build room this evening preparing for our upcoming competition. I can have our programming lead run tests and post results if there is something specific you would like to see.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,219 Views)

I would appreciate confirmation that if the rio is booted into safe mode that it continues to report memory errors and loose coms after a short time.

I'll also send you a private message on how to start the RMA process.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,210 Views)

I will have the programmers put it back on the test bench and run it in safe mode when we get to the shop.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,205 Views)

We cannot get the Rio to connect in Safe Mode over wireless. Using USB in safe mode we can see the Rio to reflash but no communications to the drive station.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,194 Views)