From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Troubleshooting Hardware

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoboRIO power light is red

The power light on our roboRio is red indicating a short between the 5V power and ground.  We have examined the board and there is nothing showing any bridging material like metal shavings etc. It is absolutely clean. (inside and out)  The light will go back to green if I remove the 5V jumper.  Any tips on this?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,908 Views)

May I know where is this jumper located? Is it on the roboRIO, on the other devices in the control system, or perhaps a jumper in your robot design?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,862 Views)

The jumper is on the Roborio

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,853 Views)

If you place the jumper on the 3.3V setting, what do we see from the power LED?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,848 Views)

When I put the jumper on the 3.3V setting, the power light goes to solid red.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,845 Views)

Generally, I'd look at the Analog and DIO connections when seeing a 5V short.  Canned air and paying close attention around that area.

When you opened the roboRIO, were there any metal shavings inside?  Some teams use a sticker over the MXP port to help prevent shavings from getting inside.

Other than the Power LED, have you had any strange behavior?  If not, it sounds like the short isn't on a port you're using.  If you'd want to focus on finding the port itself, you can try powering the AO and DIO ports to measure across the pins to find the 0V.  That can help narrow down where to focus attention.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,836 Views)

If you have anything connected to the DIO, remove all of them and see if you still get the same red power LED. If that helps to solve the problem, plug back the DIO connection one by one until you find the one that causing the short. If you don't have anything connected and still get the red power LED, take a closer look at anything that might have shorted the pins like BoKnows mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,828 Views)

Nothing is connected to the RoboRio and the light is still red.  (when then 5V or 3V jumper is on.)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,820 Views)

I have a RoboRio v1 that has the same problem. The power light is red and there are no shavings inside. I opened it up and raised the insulator behind each pin. The driver's station shows a 5V short. There is nothing connected to the RobotRio, other than power.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(987 Views)

@jls667, please start a new thread for each issue. It helps with not confusing which team has tried what. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(981 Views)