From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

The Daily CLAD

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Nested Flatten and Unflatten

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

What is String Value Out following execution of the VI?

Nested Flatten and Unflatten.png

a) Steve

b) steve

c) RTTarget

d) <undefined>

NOTE:  <undefined> is a string that cannot be defined rather than "<undefined>"

Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

A

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
boz27606

A

I would like to see a "what to avoid" in Labview where the strings or clusters could get irreversibly transformed or concatenated.

littlett

A

I just passed CLAD today. I did it two years ago but it expired this year.

I want to thank this forum, especially Steve for all the questions and also Crossrulz for all the answers.

I have a question though: what's my lisence number for this CLAD? I remember last time, I got a lisence number on the paper that printed out at the end of the exam. This time, I got a registration number and a validation number.

Are any of those the lisence number? (That's for my linkedIn profile.)

Thanks,

Hirren

A

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

Hi littlett.  Nice one, congratulations.  If you get a spare 5 minutes please post your exam experiences here.

I just dug out my CLAD Certificate (dated 22-Aug-2005, wow I'm old),  it has a 10-digit Validation Number on it but no Licence Number.

MrStevenUND

A

I have my (expired) CLD cert hanging in front of me.  I have a 10-digit serial number and that's it.

On that same note, I just registered for my first CLD-R exam for Monday.  Wish me luck!

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

Good luck MrStevenUND, am I correct in thinking the CLD-R is a multiple choice examination?

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

Answer: A.  Nice one all.

We use this nested flattening approach all the time when we have multiple senders talking to multiple but specific receivers through the same communications mechanism, it gives us common code in the data transfer (the Transfer Packet) and means that only each sender and receiver pair need to know the structure of their particular Data Packet.  

crossrulz
Knight of NI

The more common way to do this is to convert the data into Variants.  But you need to be careful with Variants because I have had some mechanisms (which ones I can't quite remember right now) will drop the Variant Attributes.

I also prefer flattening to a string.  Easier to concatinate data when sending and the Unflatten can be a serial process.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
MrStevenUND

I passed the CLD-R!  Yes, it is a 40-question multiple choice just like the CLAD, but with more specifics on the internals of LabVIEW (as you could expect).  The study guides available from NI are a must.

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

Hi MrStevenUND, nice one, congratulations