From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

The Daily CLAD

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feedback Frenzy

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

What are the values of Boolean Out 1, 2 & 3 following execution of the VI?

Feedback Frenzy.png

a) Boolean Out 1 = FALSE, Boolean Out 2 = FALSE, Boolean Out 3 = FALSE

b) Boolean Out 1 = TRUE, Boolean Out 2 = FALSE, Boolean Out 3 = TRUE

c) Boolean Out 1 = FALSE, Boolean Out 2 = TRUE, Boolean Out 3 = FALSE

d) Boolean Out 1 = TRUE, Boolean Out 2 = TRUE, Boolean Out 3 = TRUE

Comments
nik35324

D.

Pen and paper required to solve Feedback Frenzy. 

crossrulz
Knight of NI

D

No pen and paper required.  You just have to understand that shift registers and feedback nodes are almost exactly the same thing and count the value delays.  It should become obvious (after about 30 seconds) that all three options are doing the same thing.

Now just to throw a kink into this.  Call this VI inside of a FOR loop that will run twice...

Spoiler
You will get all FALSE since the feedback nodes are initializing at start up (on first call) while the shift registers are initializing each time the FOR loop starts.  This can be fixed by moving the initialization of the feedback nodes to the loop.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Matt-A.

Yes.  I had to draw this one out. 

D

MrStevenUND

D.  You should be able to do this by inspection if you know how shifts and feedback nodes work.  The bottom one did trip me up a bit though, but T, T, F isn't an option.

jwscs
Active Participant

thank you, that was very informative!

now i understand shift registers .. i mean feedback nodes

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Tsjabrantes

Letter D is the correct answer. You have to set in your mind that feedback node is like a shift register.

Smiley Happy

SercoSteveB escreveu:

What are the values of Boolean Out 1, 2 & 3 following execution of the VI?

Feedback Frenzy.png

a) Boolean Out 1 = FALSE, Boolean Out 2 = FALSE, Boolean Out 3 = FALSE

b) Boolean Out 1 = TRUE, Boolean Out 2 = FALSE, Boolean Out 3 = TRUE

c) Boolean Out 1 = FALSE, Boolean Out 2 = TRUE, Boolean Out 3 = FALSE

d) Boolean Out 1 = TRUE, Boolean Out 2 = TRUE, Boolean Out 3 = TRUE

Tarciso Junior
+55 (11) 996-282-103
Email: Tsjabrantes@gmail.com
http://br.linkedin.com/pub/tarciso-junior/23/a83/463
SercoSteveB
Active Participant

Answer: D,  nice one all.  

Does anyone have any rules around when they decide to use a Feedback Node over a Shift Register or visa-versa?

crossrulz
Knight of NI

My general rule is that if the value is needed after the loop, use a shift register.  Otherwise I find the Feedback Node simplifies wiring.

The other time for shift registers is in State Machines and Queued Message Handlers.  The shift register is holding state information that all cases need, so a shift register will make the wiring cleaner here.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Sprats

I am taking CLAD exam on sep 7th and I am preparing myself without coaching. .. I am so tense. Any simple tips to review whole topics and also any materials related to the newly added syllabus ( Hardware).. please let me know. That would be a great help......I like this blog a lot.learned many new concepts 

levonsg

D

https://images.youracclaim.com/size/340x340/images/2edb5b1a-9414-44e1-8519-c774fc6dd079/36015_Certificate_Badges_FINAL__1__NI_Instructor_v5.png