From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

The Daily CLAD

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CLAD2017 - Fundamentals - Performance Building an Array

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

You have a requirement to build an array of random U8 numerical values using a loop. Put the following methods and loop types  in order of performance (quickest to slowest)?

a) For loop using "auto indexing"
b) For loop using "build array" and a Shift Register
c) While loop using "auto indexing"
d) While loop using "build array" and a Shift Register

Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

A C B D

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
nik35324

A, C, B, D

umer777

can it be C A D B  ??????

crossrulz
Knight of NI

umer777,

No, A is definitely the most efficient.  The reason is because a FOR loop has a fixed number of iterations.  So the Autoindex tunnel has a preallocated array.

The While Loop with the autoindex is next because of how the compiler incrementally preallocates more memory for the output tunnel.  Put simply, it doubles the memory when the allocated memory is used up.

B and D I would say are about the same since the Build Array forces a memory reallocation each time it is ran.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Timsrice

So I had a go and got the following timings for making an array of 100,000 U8 numbers (in seconds)

a) 0.013

c) 0.015 (which is pretty quick, I thought this would have taken longer)

b) 0.030

d) 0.033

I guess the difference between b&d is code I added to decide when to stop the while loop?

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I just did a benchmark of generating 1M random doubles for each method and averaged over 100 iterations.  I got the following average times:

FOR Autoindexing: 22.52ms

While Autoindexing: 25.17ms

FOR Shift Register: 122.82ms

While Shift Register: 280.99ms

NOTE: LabVIEW 2016 32-bit, made sure debugging was turned off

GCentral
Matt-A.

ACbd

A.Bernau

I can’t offer a detailed explanation. But my assumption was the same: A For loop should be faster than a while loop (more work to do with comparisons, open end till condition) and auto index should be faster than build function (build function seems to me a more universal and complex function). Second reason seems more significant than first reason. So A-C-B-D

jwscs
Active Participant

my gut feeling says A, C, B+D

i know that A must be the fastest, because the array will be allacoted in the proper size since it is known how big it must be,

B second because i guess there will be some fancy optimization to allocate array ressources efficiently.

B+D should be somewhat equal, since in each step the new array has to be allocated.

EDIT: oh nice .. mostly right, although i am now curious how crossrulez' B and D differ by a factor of 2, i would have guessed timsrize's result to be the one. any explanations for the difference?

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Tsjabrantes

Hello guys!

Following the techniques taught in Core l and Core ll, I would say the correct answer is:

A, C, B, D;

See you soon. 

Tarciso Junior
+55 (11) 996-282-103
Email: Tsjabrantes@gmail.com
http://br.linkedin.com/pub/tarciso-junior/23/a83/463
பரத்_குமார்(bharathkumar)

ACBD

Thanks & Regards,
Bharath Kumar
GCentral
alexlim

ACBD

Relativity

I agree ACBD but why would it matter if I am only communicating with slow test equipment (measured in mS latencies) and not making a replacement for Quake, Half-Life or any modern OpenGL games? Wouldn't the best method for the functionality and readability of the VI more important than saving a few uS in execution time?

Just asking...

😉

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Relativity,

In this case, A is both the easiest to read and the most performant.  I have found that the two go together 90% of the time.

But general performance is important.  Do we really need to tweak every possible us out of an application.  99.9% of the time, no.  But it is still best to keep these things in mind.  As an anecdote, I once inherited a test system.  In that code was a VI that calculated a CRC.  It was HORRIBLY written, but somehow worked.  One of the first things I did was rewrite the VI.  Yes, the VI was a lot easier to read afterward.  But just as important was that it was faster.  We are talking possibly a ms per call, but this VI was called enough that that change alone saved nearly half an hour in test time.  I had similar updates throughout that code base and managed to cut about an hour off of a 4 hour test.  Manufacturing was quite happy with that result.

GCentral
Relativity

I agree 100% there will be a function that will need all the speed you can get out of the CPU such as deeply-nested loops collecting/parsing/processing data from test equipment or UUT (baseband captures, FPGA, CPLD to name a few) I have run in to several of these over the years.

So the simplest, lightest will *always* be the best (which is A in this case). 😉

Thanks!

SPK91

A - C - B - D

abasak86

A, C, B, D.

istan0227

ACBD