SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating tags in the Dashboard

I have several cRIOs that are running on battery, they each create some tags I am monitoring.

Sometimes the cRIOs lose power, which means the tags stop getting updated.

The tags I am monitoring stop updating but keep the same value as before with no indication that they have stopped being updated.

There is a "Bad tag color" and a "Stale color" but there is no information as how they work and it seems to not be very consistent on when it activates. (See picture below)

Ideally I would like the tags to get reset to a default value, is there any way of doing this when the cRIO controlling the tag?

Bad tag color not workingBad tag color not working

In the picture, the cRIO controlling the top right corner is off and it looks exactly the same as the bottom right where the cRIO is updating the tags constantly.

Any suggestions why this is happening?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,538 Views)

Hey Raul,

I just wanted to confirm that you are setting a value for the 'Age of stale data' property for the panel? This can be edited by not clicking on any control or indicator, and then going to the property editor. I've included a screenshot of that property below. 

Capture.PNG

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,516 Views)

Yes I have set the age of stale data to 10 seconds (or 10 000 ms).

But if you see in the picture I posted, the cRIO for the top right corner has been off for a few hours and they show the same values as the last update.

The most confusing part is that all the outputs show that they are "stale" (Shown by the yellow ring around them) except for the text outputs (Which show nothing around them). Even when some of them should show the "bad tag" data color which I set to purple and some that are not "stale".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,500 Views)

What type of controls are the ones that are giving you the perpetual stale data outline? I tried with number input and outputs and they seemed to work as expected for me. Can you also include a screenshot of the stale and bad data settings?

Also, you should get the bad data outline if the control is unable to find the tag. For instance, if you are reading from a tag on your dashboard, and you delete the tag, it should get the bad data outline. Why should your controls show the bad data outline?

Brandon Grey

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,485 Views)

Here is a screenshot of the property editor

Bad Tag color Example2.PNG

The textOutputX do not give neither bad tag color nor stale color (See original picture)

The numOutputY and the LedZ give perpetual Stale color.

None of outputs show bad tag color

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,463 Views)

@RaulPerez
The textOutputX do not give neither bad tag color nor stale color (See original picture)

This is a known issue that should be fixed in the next release of SystemLink. 

@RaulPerez

The bad tag color should only display when something is wrong with the binding. A prime example of this is trying to bind to a tag that doesn't exist. I tried with 17.5 and was able to get the "Bad tag color" to appear when I tried to bind to a tag that does not exist. 

What is happening in your dashboard where you expect the "Bad tag color" to appear?

Brandon Grey

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,428 Views)

I would like a way to easily know whether the tag has been updated or not.

When the display was made, all the users commented that it is nearly impossible for them to know when the tag stop updating.

@GreyGrey wrote:

@RaulPerez

This is a known issue that should be fixed in the next release of SystemLink. 

@RaulPerez

The bad tag color should only display when something is wrong with the binding. A prime example of this is trying to bind to a tag that doesn't exist. I tried with 17.5 and was able to get the "Bad tag color" to appear when I tried to bind to a tag that does not exist. 

What is happening in your dashboard where you expect the "Bad tag color" to appear?

What is actually happening, the cRIO that is updating the tag loses power (Example: Due to battery running out). 

The tag stops updating but keeps its last known value, this creates great confusion when it is showing that the cRIO is online when it actually is just offline.

Ideally i would like to make the server reset the tags to their original value whenever the tag stops updating for some time.

Would this be possible to include logic on the server Dashboard?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,417 Views)

@RaulPerez

Would this be possible to include logic on the server Dashboard?

Not today, but it could be in the future if we can add some scripting support to Dashboards. 

Currently, if you want to modify the value of a tag based on some other condition like its last updated timestamp, you would need to create a local LV application that runs on the server.  It could periodically perform a tag query and check the last updated timestamp and update the value of the tag. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,411 Views)